Recovering files over 4GB

Discussion of bugs and problems found in Altap Salamander. In your reports, please be as descriptive as possible, and report one incident per report. Do not post crash reports here, send us the generated bug report by email instead, please.
rgraff

Recovering files over 4GB

Post by rgraff »

How can I recover files over 4GB? I have several large (~8GB) DVD images that I'd like to recover. All show file size of 0 KB. Other deleted DVD images up to 3.99GB show up.

Rob
SelfMan

Re: Recovering files over 4GB

Post by SelfMan »

Salamanders recovery plugin has a 32bit limit (4GB). You might try another tool - Recuva for example. But remember that you MUST NOT write to the drive, else the content gets overwritten. This means if the files are on the system partitions, you MUST do it from a different computer, else you loose the files.
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

We must look into this problem. Undelete plugin has no 4GB file size limit.
SelfMan

Post by SelfMan »

Then it might be that the file is already unrecoverable, because it was partially overwritten.
Jan Patera
Plugin Developer
Plugin Developer

Post by Jan Patera »

rgraff wrote:How can I recover files over 4GB? I have several large (~8GB) DVD images that I'd like to recover. All show file size of 0 KB. Other deleted DVD images up to 3.99GB show up.
Confirmed: I just deleted a 5.5GB file on a non-system NTFS disk. Undelete plugin in AS 2.54 launched immediatelly claims the zero size.