File Comparator - Large files cause CPU 100%

Discussion of bugs and problems found in Altap Salamander. In your reports, please be as descriptive as possible, and report one incident per report. Do not post crash reports here, send us the generated bug report by email instead, please.
RichardW

File Comparator - Large files cause CPU 100%

Post by RichardW »

Ver 2.5 RC1 (briliant product :D ) on P4 2.8Ghz, 1Gb Ram WinXP SP2

I recently needed to compare two log files 3.2Mb & 4.1Mb. Using the Plugin - File Comparator - Compare Files option on the two selected files sent the CPU into overload. It went straight to 100% where it stayed. I had to kill the process after no output for 10 minutes.

It might be that there were a lot of differences within the two files or large chunks that are different, thats why the comparison was attempted after all, but maybe a warning or message that files are too different for a meaningful comparison.

Thanks

Richard
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Hello Richard, try to press the Escape key. You should be able to choose compare files with "detailed differences" turned off.
RichardW

Post by RichardW »

Jan,

Your tip worked well. I was able to see that one column was always different in one of the files so that every line was different! That was not expected.

Thanks

Richard