Left Side Folder Properties set to Read Only!

Discussion of bugs and problems found in Altap Salamander. In your reports, please be as descriptive as possible, and report one incident per report. Do not post crash reports here, send us the generated bug report by email instead, please.
spharris

Left Side Folder Properties set to Read Only!

Post by spharris »

I am testing RC1 and have discovered that a network folder when displayed in the left panel may show up with the read only property shaded - not fully checked but shaded. When any file in that folder is opened it is opened in read only mode. I cannot reset the property from the left panel either. It says that I do not have permission. If I go to the same folder in the right panel I do not have this problem and can set and reset the read only property for that same folder. I can also access and change files in that folder. Please advise.
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

What do you mean with "read only property shaded"?
spharris

Read Only Attribute Falsely Reported

Post by spharris »

If you select the folder in the right or left pane and go to the files menu and then select properties the Read-Only Attribute check box will not show a check mark but will be shaded - light green in my case. If you then go into that folder and open a file - my example was an Excel Spreadsheet- and open it in the left pane the file name displayed in the title bar shows Read Only. If you open this very same file in the right pane it is not set to Read Only.
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Re: Read Only Attribute Falsely Reported

Post by Jan Rysavy »

spharris wrote:If you select the folder in the right or left pane and go to the files menu and then select properties the Read-Only Attribute check box will not show a check mark but will be shaded - light green in my case.
OK, I understand now. You are using the Files > Properties command. It is also available in context menu (right click name to display it).
Note: there is also Servant Salamander's Files > Change Attributes command available... so I was unsure what are you doing.
spharris wrote:If you then go into that folder and open a file - my example was an Excel Spreadsheet- and open it in the left pane the file name displayed in the title bar shows Read Only. If you open this very same file in the right pane it is not set to Read Only.
I'm sorry, but I don't understand. What do you mean with "open a file", "title bar shows Read Only"? Please describe it step by step.
spharris

Read Only Attribute Falsely Reported

Post by spharris »

By "Open" I simply mean that I double click the Excel file to open it in a window. In MS Office the opened file name appears in the title bar of the window. If a file is set to read only then the words "Read Only" are appended to the end of the file name in the title bar. In my case, the file shows Read Only if opened in the left pane of Servant Salamander RC1 but does not show Read Only in the right pane nor does it show up if I open the spreadsheet using Windows Explorer.
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

I suppose the read-only attribute is not set for your XLS file?

Could you reproduce this problem with any XLS file? Or with DOC file?

Could you reproduce the same problem on your local disk instead of network?

What happen when you switch the left and right panel (Ctrl+U) in Servant Salamander?

This problem looks really, really weird.