Command line problems

Discussion of bugs and problems found in Altap Salamander. In your reports, please be as descriptive as possible, and report one incident per report. Do not post crash reports here, send us the generated bug report by email instead, please.
CaLy

Command line problems

Post by CaLy » 04 Jul 2019, 12:50

Hello, I am Carlos Octavio from Argentina.
I tried this commander while looking for free alternatives and i saw on reddit it becames free... so i decided to uninstall the trial of TC and installed this.
It´s so beautiful and GREAT ! Works SO GOOD on x64 ! Thank you !

Now,as a noob with this fantastic program, i have two questions.

I remember while using TC i was in a folder, i was in a specific folder (any) and in the command line i typed " winrar and then CTRL+ENTER " (without " of course) and TC opened winrar in that folder, so i was able to compress or decompress the files in that folder". Now it tells me "not recognized...blabla", the same happens with notepad++
So my question is... is there a way to do that in Altap file manager? Thank you in advance, and greetings from Rosario !

Have a GREAT day !

Carlos Octavio

SelfMan

Re: Command line problems

Post by SelfMan » 04 Jul 2019, 19:25

The basic rule is that if you want to run a application from command line and you are not directly in the folder where the application is installed, the application's folder must be in the PATH system variable.
I dont know hot TC is doing it, I gues it gets the application's path from the registy and then executes it.

Never the less, Salamander has othjer powefull feature - custom user menu (F9).
https://www.altap.cz/salamander/help/sa ... ize_usrmn/
where you can specify your apps, paths and folders you want to work with.

SvA

Post by SvA » 04 Jul 2019, 19:46

Hi Carlos,

your program most likely is not on the PATH.
Unlike Windows Run feature, Salamander's command line always runs anything through the shell. The shell is defined by the contents of the COMSPEC environment variable, usually cmd.exe
Windows finds some programs by searching the entries in the registry below but cmd.exe does not use those.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths
and
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths

You can run those programs using the start command. Open a command window and enter start /? to learn more.

By the way, Salamander comes with some archivers integrated, and there are more that you can configure, and which then behave as if they were integrated from the beginning. Check out the Archivers section in the configuration.

Also check out the User Menu and it's associated toolbar. You can can pass all kind of parameters related to the current contents in the file panels, a very handy feature. You can configure Programs there with full path, depend on the PATH environment variable, or let windows apply it's App Paths magic if you unticked "Execute through shell".

CaLy

Post by CaLy » 24 Jul 2019, 13:41

Thank you!
IT is working now as i wanted!

SelfMan

Post by SelfMan » 25 Jul 2019, 19:02

Caly, just to leave info for people who come to this thread with the same issue, describe which solution did help you.