ftp links lost after exit from program

Discussion of bugs and problems found in Altap Salamander. In your reports, please be as descriptive as possible, and report one incident per report. Do not post crash reports here, send us the generated bug report by email instead, please.
phils

ftp links lost after exit from program

Post by phils »

using any of the ftp versions in 2.x rc1, rc2 etc, the ftp links are lost if the program is exited without first doing a Options->save Configuration.
If a new ftp entry is created via the plugin, then the entry remains until salamander is closed. When it it is re-opened the ftp entry is gone.

Is there some way to preserve the entires when they are created without having to manually save configuration every time?
Petr Solin
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Petr Solin »

FTP bookmarks are part of configuration, so you need to save configuration after changing them. Most usual is automatic saving of configuration on Salamander exit, see menu Options/Configuration/General: check Save configuration on exit.
phils

Post by phils »

Having to use the save settings on exit causes other problems. I use Salamander on a network with many mapped drives. I setup each of the mapped drives directory entries to be in the correct location when I open the drive and then do a save settings manually.
If I setup automatic saving on exit, then after using salamander during to the day to move through many drives and directories, the defualt directory settings are saved at exit. Next time I open salamander the default directories won't be where I expect them. Also the starting drive/directory will not be in the usual place next time salamander is open.

I think it would make more sense to have the ftp entries automatically saved if a new entry is created from the ftp menu, and if a quick connect is needed for some temporary access where the address is just temporary then a quick connect button could be provided.
Or a save setting button just for the ftp entries should be provided on the ftp page.
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

The solution could be in config.reg: prepare reduced version of your configuration (leave only HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Altap\Servant Salamander 2.5 RC1\Default Directories).

Please look at http://forum.altap.cz/viewtopic.php?p=428#428
Mem

Post by Mem »

Jan Rysavy wrote:The solution could be in config.reg: prepare reduced version of your configuration (leave only HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Altap\Servant Salamander 2.5 RC1\Default Directories).

Please look at http://forum.altap.cz/viewtopic.php?p=428#428
I had the very same problem (want to keep default directories and sometimes forget to save configuration manually)
Thanks for this solution :)