Old registry value for 'If Path Is Inaccessible Go To'

Discussion of bugs and problems found in Altap Salamander. In your reports, please be as descriptive as possible, and report one incident per report. Do not post crash reports here, send us the generated bug report by email instead, please.
Mike

Old registry value for 'If Path Is Inaccessible Go To'

Post by Mike »

It seems like the registry value for 'If Path Is Inaccessible Go To' is never updated, and, is transfered to new servant salamader installations during import of old settings.

For the last couple of betas (not sure how long) It has been pointing to c:\documents and settings\<"old nonexisting user that originally installed servant salamander"> until i changed it manually as i got fed up with the error message generated every time a removable drive was unplugged, and this path could not be located.
SvA

Post by SvA »

This setting is not updated by Servant Salamander. You can configure it from Options | Configuration... | Drives.

All of Salamander's configuration setting are saved to the user hieve of the registry. Since Salamander set's the entry to the current user's My Documents folder on first run, this means that someone changed the setting being logged in as you, or someone imported the settings from a file (saved configuration).

Your post seems to suggest that you would like to have something changed. Unfortunately you don't say what. What could Servand Salamander do better concerning this in your oppinion?
mike

Post by mike »

Apparantly i'm blind. :oops:
Despite that i looked more than once, i did not find that setting in the configuration.
Sorry for the inconvinience. I do not have anything to suggest with that setting available :P
Petr Solin
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Petr Solin »

We slightly improve this in prepared version 2.5 RC2: if you use path to "My Documents" folder (standard configuration), Salamander will not store this path, but always get path for "My Documents" folder from Windows.
zarevak
Plugin Developer
Plugin Developer

Post by zarevak »

Hi,
I have small idea and a some bug reports?
:idea: What about adding option to change the 'If Path Is Inaccessible Go To' location to the error dialog. It can be just a link to the Drives panel of the Configuration dialog (and maybe with focusing the location editbox)

:?: When the 'If Path Is Inaccessible Go To' location points to the non-existing drive I get an error message about "The path or filename "X:\" is invalid." (and twice)
- the location was set to: X:\Documents and Settings\Ondra\My Documents
:!: When 'If Path Is Inaccessible Go To' location points to the existing drive I don't get the error message.
- the location was set to: C:\BLAHDocuments and Settings\Ondra\My Documents

How I test this: I mount ISO image to my Virtual CloneDrive; open the drive in SS; and unmount the image. Everytime I get two "Drive Select Error" dialog boxes :( and either zero or two errors about the bad 'If Path Is Inaccessible Go To' location.

Last remark (I know you hate more than one issue in one thread, but this is just a minor glitch): In the 'If Path Is Inaccessible Go To' editbox Ctrl+A (select all) hotkey doesn't work :(
Petr Solin
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Petr Solin »

zarevak wrote::idea: What about adding option to change the 'If Path Is Inaccessible Go To' location to the error dialog. It can be just a link to the Drives panel of the Configuration dialog (and maybe with focusing the location editbox)
It's quite complicated to make it optional (many error boxes). I think user should correct this path whenever it's invalid, so I have added opening of Drives page on any error in this path.
zarevak wrote::?: When the 'If Path Is Inaccessible Go To' location points to the non-existing drive I get an error message about "The path or filename "X:" is invalid." (and twice)
I have fixed this (doubled error message). It occurs on XP (not on W2K where we tested this). Thanks for your bug report!
zarevak wrote::!: When 'If Path Is Inaccessible Go To' location points to the existing drive I don't get the error message.
I cannot reproduce it, please help -- it displays this error message (I used Ctrl+C in messagebox):
---------------------------
Error Changing Directory
Path: "C:\aaaDocuments and Settings\Petr\My Documents"
Error: (2) The system cannot find the file specified.

[OK]
zarevak wrote:Last remark (I know you hate more than one issue in one thread, but this is just a minor glitch): In the 'If Path Is Inaccessible Go To' editbox Ctrl+A (select all) hotkey doesn't work :(
Ctrl+A does not work in any editbox in my Windows (2000 nor XP). I have no idea how to enable it.
zarevak
Plugin Developer
Plugin Developer

Post by zarevak »

Petr Solin wrote:
zarevak wrote::idea: What about adding option to change the 'If Path Is Inaccessible Go To' location to the error dialog. It can be just a link to the Drives panel of the Configuration dialog (and maybe with focusing the location editbox)
It's quite complicated to make it optional (many error boxes). I think user should correct this path whenever it's invalid, so I have added opening of Drives page on any error in this path.
I thought about that, but what if the user had set it up to the remote folder and the network is temporarily unavaiable? The user wouldn't like to change this setting.
Petr Solin wrote:
zarevak wrote::!: When 'If Path Is Inaccessible Go To' location points to the existing drive I don't get the error message.
I cannot reproduce it, please help -- it displays this error message (I used Ctrl+C in messagebox):

Error Changing Directory
Path: "C:\aaaDocuments and Settings\Petr\My Documents"
Error: (2) The system cannot find the file specified.
[OK]
I tried it again with my Virtual CD-ROM and with actual DVD-ROM and no error is displayed, when the disc is ejected. On the other hand I get your error message when I unplug my USB disk. I'm using WinXP SP2 Pro English and SS 2.5RC1.
But I discover some interresting behavior:
  • "C:\BLAHDocuments and Settings\Ondra\My Documents" on error I end up on "C:"
  • "C:\Documents and Settings\BLAHOndra\My Documents" on error I end up on "C:\Documents and Settings"
  • "C:\Documents and Settings\Ondra\BLAHMy Documents" on error I end up on "C:\Documents and Settings\Ondra"
Have you got any idea, how can I help you find this problem? I only get your error message with CD-ROM drives when bad drive letter is used in the settings (but then only the drive letter is written on the error message - not the whole path)
Petr Solin wrote:Ctrl+A does not work in any editbox in my Windows (2000 nor XP). I have no idea how to enable it.
You are right! I'm spoiled from web browsers' editboxes (but it neither works in IE address bar :? ). Sorry about that :(
Maybe you can enable it with EM_SETSEL message sent to the editbox itself. From MSDN Remarks section: If the start is 0 and the end is –1, all the text in the edit control is selected. If the start is –1, any current selection is deselected.
Petr Solin
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Petr Solin »

zarevak wrote:I thought about that, but what if the user had set it up to the remote folder and the network is temporarily unavaiable? The user wouldn't like to change this setting.
No problem, one ESC key solves this. :)
zarevak wrote:I tried it again with my Virtual CD-ROM and with actual DVD-ROM and no error is displayed, when the disc is ejected. On the other hand I get your error message when I unplug my USB disk. I'm using WinXP SP2 Pro English and SS 2.5RC1.
Yes, after Drive Select Error dialog on CD-ROM drive it goes to shorter path without error message. I'll look at it.