System Lockup on file transfer

Discussion of bugs and problems found in Altap Salamander. In your reports, please be as descriptive as possible, and report one incident per report. Do not post crash reports here, send us the generated bug report by email instead, please.
Bigplayer

System Lockup on file transfer

Post by Bigplayer »

Hello,

I am having an issue moving large amounts of files, normally MP3s, to an attached USB drive. Normally, about 30 seconds into it, my computer hard locks and I have to reset the system. I have tried resetting the USB hub, thinking it was USB related, but it still locks up. If I pause and unpause every 10 seconds or so, it works ok.

Thanks in advance for the help

Sean
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Hello Sean,

It looks like problem with your USB drive or drivers. You can try another file managers (for example Windows Explorer or Total Commander). You will probably encounter the same problem.

Try to update drivers, try to plug your USB drive directly to computer (bypass the USB hub) and let us know.
BigPlayer

Post by BigPlayer »

I tried using windows Exporer and had no issues. It seems to be related to SS. All drivers are current.

thanks
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Try to plug your USB drive directly to computer (bypass the USB hub) and let us know.
Datalog

Re: System Lockup on file transfer

Post by Datalog »

Bigplayer wrote:... my computer hard locks ...
BigPlayer wrote:... It seems to be related to SS ...
No standard sw (which is able to run under user assount without special (install) settings) can hang up computer. Talking about sw under MS Windows NT derived - W2k, XP, ... . If it do so (better say look like do so), it couldn't be bug in this sw. Hardlocking computer is HW, OS, or 3rd party driver related problem.

Check your HW and, especially, USB driver. If both are correct (and you're really sure they're OK), then pass this bug to Microsoft.