Strange lock on file operations (2.53)

Discussion of bugs and problems found in Altap Salamander. In your reports, please be as descriptive as possible, and report one incident per report. Do not post crash reports here, send us the generated bug report by email instead, please.
otrov

Strange lock on file operations (2.53)

Post by otrov »

I have some strange experience with AS using the latest 2.53 version (not sure if the latest beta had the same issue, but never with previous versions). From time to time when I delete, copy or move file/folder the appropriate dialog just stays like that (zero progress) for minute or so and then finishes!? and now it took more than minute so I tried to see what's happening by launching procmon:

Strange to see that not much was going on - procmon with tracking all activities showed only "Process Profiling" operation all the time, like nothing is happening. I then launched procexp - similar situation for which I captured screen-shot: http://imagebin.ca/img/KaEQGEuv.png

Now when I tried to get back to salamander (after I done above) the window couldn't show up and even Alt-tab didn't work. I switched to procexp and killed the salamander process. After restart I saw that operation wasn't successful (I tried to rename file initially) and interestingly AS didn't asked about deleting previous instance of temp config file, neither it opened panels in folders where I was last time (logically) and even more interestingly I could reproduce this issue couple of times*: go to that particular file, in-line edit and paste the name to rename it - salamander locked. Not exactly locked as I can do other things in AS but started file operation got locked.
*I could reproduce the behavior, but I tried one more time now before posting and file got renamed without issue :o

As I said this happens quite randomly in a manner that I can't see any obvious pattern why this is happening. And if I let more time (it's half minute to minute usually) the operation will complete, but something is wrong or course with latest version on my PC at least

Any ideas?
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Re: Strange lock on file operations (2.53)

Post by Jan Rysavy »

otrov

Post by otrov »

I've read couple of similar topics, and I've experienced delays when deleting to Recycle Bin but this is different.

in your first link user's panel is also locked which isn't case here and the delay is much longer at my side when that user mentions couple of seconds

in second link user has problem with delete operation
Ether

Post by Ether »

On what version of Windows are you experiencing this problem? I have encountered the same problem (unreasonable delay on some operations) on Windows 7x64.

I also have encountered another symptom, which could be another manifestation of the same problem: I wanted to move some files, but several times throughout the operation I got an error about a file being used by another process, but Retry worked immediately. That indicates that some application is scanning the files. My guesses are: avast!, TortoiseSVN, Windows Indexing. If I had a reliable way to reproduce it, I could find out which one is it.

EDIT] added more details
Ελληνικά rulez.
otrov

Post by otrov »

It's 32b, and NOD32 AV isn't the problem as I checked that, but not sure about indexing. Can it lock the file for such long? And some files aren't even big, but it all looks like the file is locked by something and I'm not running anything exotic in background, just common windows processes.

Any ideas how to track offender in case something is locking the file (not in a classical sense as I have offender plugin, but somehow to track this problem)?
Ether

Post by Ether »

In case it's indeed caused by locked files, you can run Process Monitor in the background and after the problem shows up, just filter the results - show only file system operations and Path contains the path you were copying/moving from. (Also hide profiling operations, there's no use for them regarding our problem.) Or, you could run Process Explorer and use it's Find function during the delay to find opened files.

It seems you encounter this problem quite often, do you have any reliable way to reproduce it?
Ελληνικά rulez.
otrov

Post by otrov »

it happened couple of times the day I posted, but none since my last reply, but I'm sure it will happen soon to put light to problem with procmon tracking the file instead salamander process ;)
otrov

Post by otrov »

I wasn't at my PC for some time, so little late

The problem occurs only on new files introduced in my system (as new downloads, new files unpacked from archive and similar, so Ether idea of problem related to indexing is quite possible)

Bellow is filter result for file "Hanh.pdf" on which I tried some file operation and file dialog locked at 0% for long time. I fired procmon at [20:21:33] and leave the room, then some half hour later I stopped procmon and this is filtered result on the locked file path:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key= ... yeXc&hl=en
(google account is req)

optionally hosted here also: http://pastebin.com/03zjbk7C

I have original unfiltered log if needed
therube

Post by therube »

If I'm reading correctly, that's only a few seconds of time.

First thought was, well if I filter out "SUCCESS", but that appears wrong, http://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.p ... 311#138311.

Now "REPARSE POINT", so perhaps your "local" directory is in fact not local, taking time to connect/spin up or whatever? Permissions, ownership, active directory, corruption?

(That SS view is much nicer. Never seen that before. Wonder if Microsoft Multiplan can do that ;-) Introduced in 1982 it says, & still going strong in 2010.)

Heh.

Last edited by therube on 20 Jul 2010, 22:35, edited 1 time in total.
WinXP Pro SP3 or Win7 x86 | SS 2.54
otrov

Post by otrov »

It's at least 6 min ;)
File operation started before [20:21:33] when I started procmon and first path match is at [20:27:24]

I know that this path filter lacks information, but I have half hour log which I can upload, but want to know which information is needed as there is lot of info in that huge log

[edit] about SS view, I don't know of any service other than Google Docs or MS Office Live that can present CSV data in readable way
Last edited by otrov on 20 Jul 2010, 22:42, edited 1 time in total.
therube

Post by therube »

To note, I edited my post above, adding, "Permissions, ownership, active directory, corruption?".
otrov

Post by otrov »

I don't understand what are you suggesting?

I run salamander as Administrator and working on one 500 GB hard drive (clean of errors which I never had and defragmented on monthly bases) and on which it's my system and all other files without partitions or anything.
therube

Post by therube »

Not suggesting anything, just throwing out thoughts, in particular trying to gather if you might have something "odd" going on (odd setup of sorts).

Like are you connected to a domain? Is your storage local, rather then remotely connecting? Then might there be a permissions or ownership issue that you could be running into?
Ether

Post by Ether »

It'd be very interesting to see where the delay occured, speaking in the terms of function call stack - if the delay occurs in kernel code, in Salamander's code, or in some third party code. IIRC Process Monitor dump contains the call stacks for all operations logged. Maybe using Salamander's Break function during the delay could provide enough information.

@Altap] Could you advise as to what function could provide the call stack of the operation thread during the delay?

edit] The only thing I noticed in the log is the SearchProtocolHost process. Can you try disabling Windows Search service and see if it has any effect?
Ελληνικά rulez.