HiDPI support

We welcome any suggestions for new features or improvements in Altap Salamander. Please post one suggestion per report.
mstrap

HiDPI support

Post by mstrap »

Please provide support for HiDPI monitors. Currently, the icons are tiny which makes clicking e.g. toolbar buttons hard and in general makes AS look somewhat strange. A simple fix should be to just set dpiAware to false:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/librar ... 85%29.aspx

Of course it would be great to have AS coming with a separate high-resolution icon set, too :)

-Marc
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Re: HiDPI support

Post by Jan Rysavy »

We are working on it, including new vector icons.
imkilroy

Post by imkilroy »

Hi, is there a rough timeline for this feature? Thanks :)
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

It is not finished yet, we have no time estimation right now.
crystalidea

Post by crystalidea »

Please do it, at least icons adjust size for toolbar and panel items
Brett

Post by Brett »

As an interim measure you can create an external manifest for Salamander that specifies dpiAware as False. That, along with a registry setting that specifies external manifests take preference over internal manifests, has saved my eyesight on a high DPI monitor.

Cheers,
Brett
prochan2

Post by prochan2 »

Hi, my solution is to right-click the shortcut, go to Properties window, Compatibility tab and select "System" under "Override high DPI scaling behavior." "System (Enhanced)" looks much better, but it brokes UI of TortoiseGit when used from within Salamander.
camper

Post by camper »

I'm using AS 3.0.8 on a 4k-monitor with 200% scaling and don't have major problems with that, so for me it has no high priority.
Georgd

Post by Georgd »

prochan2 wrote: 07 Aug 2017, 14:35 Hi, my solution is to right-click the shortcut, go to Properties window, Compatibility tab and select "System" under "Override high DPI scaling behavior." "System (Enhanced)" looks much better
Thank you for the hint, it's also better on my Huawei MateBook detachable, but icons etc are still quite small for touch operation.

BTW, related posts are Tiny Toolbar Icons on Surface3 screen and Icon size not DPI-aware
Using Salamander since v 1.52
teutonic

Post by teutonic »

This, for me, is a major deal breaker. Have been a customer for many years and would happily pay for a new, DPI aware version. But sick of waiting. So moving on to Directory Opus. Bye Altap Salamander.
Georgd

Re: HiDPI support and v4.0

Post by Georgd »

Dear all, after reading the good news, I just installed Salamander 4.0 on my Win10 PC and was curious for the new High DPI support. And found it's looking blurry while old 3.08 is crisp & clear :-(
2019-07-06 comparision Salamander 3.08 and 4.0.png
2019-07-06 comparision Salamander 3.08 and 4.0.png (230.98 KiB) Viewed 25357 times
Only after editing the properties of the .lnk shortcut file, more precisely setting (literally translated from German) compatibility > changing high DPI settings > overwrite high DPI scaling to "System" I got a crisp display. So the same manual configuration step is required as in v3.08, while I expected v4.0 does automatically look good on Win10 & HighDPI. I'm a little sad that High DPI support seems to have been improved only in respect of new icons in SVG - or did I overlook something?

Thank you for hints, Georg
Using Salamander since v 1.52
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Can anyone else reproduce this problem? On our systems AS 4.0 works as expected - all text are crisp and clear (150%, 175%, and 200% scale in Display settings). We didn't change anything in Salamander shortcut properties.
sal_40.png
sal_40.png (112.34 KiB) Viewed 25341 times
zarevak
Plugin Developer
Plugin Developer

Re: HiDPI support and v4.0

Post by zarevak »

Georgd wrote: 06 Jul 2019, 18:29 Dear all, after reading the good news, I just installed Salamander 4.0 on my Win10 PC and was curious for the new High DPI support. And found it's looking blurry while old 3.08 is crisp & clear :-(
How many monitors do you have? Do you have Salamander running on the main monitor? What DPI settings do you have for the different monitors?

Because Salamander doesn't support real-time DPI changes (perMonitor and perMonitor2 HighDPI support), it loads one DPI setting at its startup and stays with it... If it loads DPI setting for the wrong monitor (this is decided by Windows and NOT by Salamander) it becomes blurry, because Windows will do bitmap scalling to the DPI setting of the current monitor.
Georgd wrote: 06 Jul 2019, 18:29 Only after editing the properties of the .lnk shortcut file, more precisely setting (literally translated from German) compatibility > changing high DPI settings > overwrite high DPI scaling to "System" I got a crisp display. So the same manual configuration step is required as in v3.08, while I expected v4.0 does automatically look good on Win10 & HighDPI. I'm a little sad that High DPI support seems to have been improved only in respect of new icons in SVG - or did I overlook something?
Here is my compatibility settings for Altap Salamander 4.0 which works correctly on my multimonitor system with different DPI settings on different monitors:
(By the way, the Windows Explorer file properties dialog and this compatibility dialog doesn't support perMonitor either on Win 10 1809 - on the second monitor with different DPI it is blurry)
BricoBrico

Post by BricoBrico »

Hi,

I have a 4K monitor set to 3840x2160 with 200% scaling and work fine ...
I'm using last version : version 4.0 64bits

On my shortcut properties, I set exactly as previous message : Program DPI is checked and Override DPI is checked, and on ComboBox a System(Enhanced) is choose.

When I move a file with my mouse over a filename, a font become ugly

I tried many Font or size... Always same problem. To fix, I only have to reduce the window and maximize it so that the font become pretty.
In other words just refresh the window (Redraw) or press CTRL-F9 on my keyboard.

Here an exemple :
Salamander.jpg
Salamander.jpg (77.47 KiB) Viewed 24759 times
Does exist a solution for refler a font on font's filename ?
gregzeng

Post by gregzeng »

prochan2 wrote: 07 Aug 2017, 14:35 Hi, my solution is to right-click the shortcut, go to Properties window, Compatibility tab and select "System" under "Override high DPI scaling behavior." "System (Enhanced)" looks much better, but it brokes UI of TortoiseGit when used from within Salamander.
Worked well for me, also. Tested it first on my main computer system. Now will apply it to my 8 inch notebook.
Retired (1985) Chief Information Officer, Australian Capital Territory.