Gridlines

We welcome any suggestions for new features or improvements in Altap Salamander. Please post one suggestion per report.
cicciosmith

Gridlines

Post by cicciosmith »

Considering that the program is very good in terms of features and performance, I was wondering if it's possible to add some kind og gridlines within the panels to better read and understand file and folder names
Ether

Post by Ether »

What gridlines do you mean? Please, explain your idea in more detail.
Ελληνικά rulez.
cicciosmith

gridlines

Post by cicciosmith »

hi ether, thanks for the reply.

About gridlines: I would appreciate if it is possible to add, for example, vertical lines that clearly divide the panel columns. If you do not use fixed widths (and even so due to the variable fine names lenghts), often the rows are not clearly visible.

As an exemple, I remember that both DOS and Win versions of the great old Norton Commander had such lines that I found quite useful and immediate at a first glance. Let me know if this is clear
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Another option would be alternate shading of rows or columns. I would like such feature because it would strengthen Salamander accessibility. I would also like to implement support for screen readers (there is some Windows Accessibility API).
cicciosmith

Post by cicciosmith »

Great idea, anyway, I think that both suggestions could be very useful to get more readable panels
SelfMan

Post by SelfMan »

Jan Rysavy wrote:Another option would be alternate shading of rows or columns. I would like such feature because it would strengthen Salamander accessibility. I would also like to implement support for screen readers (there is some Windows Accessibility API).
I vote for this +1

I have a couple blind clients who use JAWS For Windows from Freedom Scientific. So far AS does not work that good wit JAWS.
http://www.freedomscientific.com/produc ... t-page.asp
There is a Trial version so you can download it and test.
DOCS http://www.freedomscientific.com/fs_sup ... eaders.asp
Last edited by SelfMan on 03 Jun 2008, 17:16, edited 1 time in total.
Ether

Post by Ether »

+1

Shaded columns are cool with me.
Ελληνικά rulez.
cicciosmith

Post by cicciosmith »

To add more information: I just tested a similar product, SpeedCommander and I found that it's look and feel is better, more modern and more aligned with the most recent UI standards (see Vista and Mac), even if in terms of features it doen not compete with Altap.

From my point of view, the general experience with a product is not only a matter of features, but also a great combination of features and easier user experience