New file (Shift + F4) name selection

We welcome any suggestions for new features or improvements in Altap Salamander. Please post one suggestion per report.
rogo

New file (Shift + F4) name selection

Post by rogo »

I'd like to request an option to pre-select just the name, without the txt extension, when creating new files - following the new style of quick rename.
Most times when creating a new file in Salamander, the desired extension is txt anyway. No reason to type it every time when creating a new text file. Another nice touch would be making default extension configurable.

Thanks,
Mike
therube

Re: New file (Shift + F4) name selection

Post by therube »

Maybe this should simply follow the (to be) setting of (F2) renaming files - either the old way, or the new way.
WinXP Pro SP3 or Win7 x86 | SS 2.54
jis

Post by jis »

therube wrote:Maybe this should simply follow the (to be) setting of (F2) renaming files - either the old way, or the new way.
I agree with you, completely.
Altap Salamander fan since 1998
zarevak
Plugin Developer
Plugin Developer

Post by zarevak »

therube wrote:Maybe this should simply follow the (to be) setting of (F2) renaming files - either the old way, or the new way.
Altap, please don't preselect the name-part only in Shift+F4 New file dialog.
I like the new name only preselect in F2 dialog, because I mainly change the filename not the filetype. But when I need to create some file, I change the whole name with extension - sometimes I need TXT file for some notes; sometimes I need BAT/CMD shell script; sometimes I need JS/VBS script for admin stuff; sometimes I need to create new PHP file... The extension is different each time I use Shift+F4 8)
SelfMan

Post by SelfMan »

zarevak wrote:
Altap, please don't preselect the name-part only in Shift+F4 New file dialog.
I like the new name only preselect in F2 dialog, because I mainly change the filename not the filetype. But when I need to create some file, I change the whole name with extension - sometimes I need TXT file for some notes; sometimes I need BAT/CMD shell script; sometimes I need JS/VBS script for admin stuff; sometimes I need to create new PHP file... The extension is different each time I use Shift+F4 8)
I vote for this...
Its annoying for me too...
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

We will not change the Shift+F4 selection.

EDIT 07/11/2007: from Altap Salamander 2.51 the Shift+F4 and Alt+F5 behaves like F2. The different behavior was misleading for us.
Last edited by Jan Rysavy on 11 Jul 2007, 15:41, edited 1 time in total.
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

From AS 2.53 there will be two options:
[x] Select also filename extension in Quick Rename and Pack commands (default off)
[x] Select also filename extension in Edit New File command (default on)

Also it would be possible to save default file name in the Edit New File dialog box.