File extensions in new file names

We welcome any suggestions for new features or improvements in Altap Salamander. Please post one suggestion per report.
mity

File extensions in new file names

Post by mity »

Hi,

first of all, let me to express great thanks for Salamander. It became one of my favorite tools when working on Windows and it's running virtually all the time on my computer at home and at work as well.

Now back to the ${subject}. I have one minor feature request for future versions.

There is option "Configuration -> General -> Select whole name (including extension) when entering new filename". This checkbox has impact to fast renaming of file (F2) and to creating new file (Shift+F4).

For example as a SW developer I use Shift+F4 very often for creating new source files. So I have a dilemma: either I can comfortably rename files with F2 (without carrying the extension too much) but then I also create new files with stupid filenames like "xxx.c.txt"; or I can do the opposite and then I have to care more when editing new file names in F2 dialog.

It would be really great if both could be configured independently on each other. I think it makes good sense:
-- When renaming an existing file (F2), it's very common to rename only the basename because the extension typically marks filetype to the system so changing it usually means the file cannot be used as expected originally.
-- However when creating new file (Shift+F4), it's IMHO bad idea to assume it's pure text file (.txt), so the user (at least I do) needs often to set the extension explicitly.

Or as an alternative solution, the default extension for new filenames (Shift+F4) could be configured so I could change the default extension ".txt" to ".c" or to empty string.

Best regards,
Mity
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Re: File extensions in new file names

Post by Jan Rysavy »

We should probably remove Shift+F4 from dependency on this option (and always select all). Keep only Alt+F5 and F2 commands dependent. It looks like we did mistake while making dependent also Shift+F4.

I want to ask other users what do they mean about this proposal?
cincura.net

Post by cincura.net »

Jan Rysavy wrote:I want to ask other users what do they mean about this proposal?
+1
Jiri {x2} Cincura
Ether

Post by Ether »

+1

Could the default names 'archive' (Alt+F5) and 'new.txt' (Shift+F4) be editable? They're not very useful.

They're not consistent either. I mean, new.txt might be reasonable, because it tells us it's a new text file, but archive.zip(/rar/...) tells twice the fact that it's an archive.
Ελληνικά rulez.
zarevak
Plugin Developer
Plugin Developer

Post by zarevak »

+1

This behavior was requested in the New file (Shift + F4) name selection thread and even with my disapproval it was implemented in 2.51, because it was confusing to be different from Quick Rename (F2) and Pack (Alt+F5).

- As for the default filename setting: The option would be useless for me because I change the whole file name each time I use Shift+F4.
- For the archive name logic: Instead of the "archive" word Salamander should use the parent directory name similarly to other commercial archiving solutions (WinRAR).
Petr Solin
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Petr Solin »

zarevak wrote:- For the archive name logic: Instead of the "archive" word Salamander should use the parent directory name similarly to other commercial archiving solutions (WinRAR).
Salamander does it already. It uses archive.* only if you select more files/directories in drive root.
Ether

Post by Ether »

zarevak wrote:As for the default filename setting: The option would be useless for me because I change the whole file name each time I use Shift+F4.
BTW: Sometimes, I use the default filename, when I just want to start the file editor.
Jan Rysavy wrote:Salamander does it already. It uses archive.* only if you select more files/directories in drive root.
Sorry for the confusion, I meant the case of packing in the root, of course.
Ελληνικά rulez.
rogo

Post by rogo »

Actually, selecting the whole filename in the "Edit New File" dialog has the same effect as showing it without any filename at all. It doesn't matter what name appears pre-selected there if the first letter you type deletes it all anyway.

When I need to replace the whole filename after hitting Shift+F4, I just press on the "Up" or "Down" key (which selects whatever appears there) and type in the new name.
Tomcat

Post by Tomcat »

+1 to Jan's suggestion. Doesn't make sense on new files.
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Fixed from AS 2.52b1.
Patrik

New.txt editable

Post by Patrik »

Jan Rysavy wrote:Fixed from AS 2.52b1.
I prefere the same to have a new file with and without extension (does it already in the Option/Configuration tab General->Select whole name ...).

I would like to define the file name by myself (instead of new.txt) as my mother language is not English therefore I would take another expression.
I know I can switch easily to the other file names by using the arrows but when having used a lot of names recently it is not listed anymore.
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

From AS 2.53 there will be two options:
[x] Select also filename extension in Quick Rename and Pack commands (default off)
[x] Select also filename extension in Edit New File command (default on)

Also it would be possible to save default file name in the Edit New File dialog box.