Delete Undelete files?

This is a place for users to discuss Altap Salamander. Please feel free to ask, answer questions, and express your opinion. Please do not post problems, bug reports or feature requests here.
schroeder

Delete Undelete files?

Post by schroeder »

Hi,

is there any way to permanently delete the files shown under Undelete, i.e. make them NOT recoverable?

schroeder
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Use the Plugins > Encrypt & Decrypt > Shred Files command instead of deleting such sensitive files. This command will overwrite files content with random patterns to ensure it cannot be recovered.
schroeder

Post by schroeder »

Thanks Jan!

But does that also clear all the existing undelete history?

schroeder
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

It is not possible to shred particular (already) deleted file. Btw, interesting idea for the Undelete plugin :)

There is command Plugins > Encrypt & Decrypt > Clean Disk Free Space which will shred all free space on given partition. Unfortunately it takes same time...

Post by Guest »

Jan Rysavy wrote:It is not possible to shred particular (already) deleted file. Btw, interesting idea for the Undelete plugin :)
I knoooooow! 8)
Jan Rysavy wrote: There is command Plugins > Encrypt & Decrypt > Clean Disk Free Space which will shred all free space on given partition. Unfortunately it takes same time...

Ah! Thats probably what I need. Thanks!

And BTW, what a great piece of software you guys put together. Two thumbs up!

One more question though about the memory consumption of SS. If I minimize the program to the task bar the memory footprint goes down to 900K (awesome! :D ) but then after about 20 seconds it goes up to about 2.5 MB. Why is that?

Thanks,
schroeder
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Anonymous wrote:One more question though about the memory consumption of SS. If I minimize the program to the task bar the memory footprint goes down to 900K (awesome! :D ) but then after about 20 seconds it goes up to about 2.5 MB. Why is that?
Please post this question (copy&paste) as separate thread, for easier navigation. Specify your OS version. It looks interesting :)
schroeder

Post by schroeder »

Jan Rysavy wrote:It is not possible to shred particular (already) deleted file. Btw, interesting idea for the Undelete plugin :)

There is command Plugins > Encrypt & Decrypt > Clean Disk Free Space which will shred all free space on given partition. Unfortunately it takes same time...
Works like a charm. Thanks. :)

One more thing: when I call the Undelete view after cleaning the free space a folder called ZZZZZZ.ZZZ with about 5000 0-byte files with funky (random) filenames remains. What's that one for?

schroeder
Mem

Post by Mem »

schröder: Hey, stop this reverse engineering, now we know how shredding in SS works! (by creating ZZZ... folder and filling with small files?) :lol:
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

The ZZZZZZ.ZZZ directory is "debris" from MFT cleaning algorithm. It is OK...