Problem With Size - maximizes or nothing

Discussion of bugs and problems found in Altap Salamander. In your reports, please be as descriptive as possible, and report one incident per report. Do not post crash reports here, send us the generated bug report by email instead, please.
quimbo

Problem With Size - maximizes or nothing

Post by quimbo »

Strange problem. SS is running and i have it so it takes up maybe 75 percent of screen. I minimize SS so alli have is an icon on the system tray.

Every once in a while, if i click the Icon from the system tray, I get a SS entry in my taskbar but nothing else on my screen. The only way i can get to SS is if i right click the taskbar entry and select maximize. This opens a maximized screen which i do not want.

If i right click from the task bar and select close, it saves my config, as expected. If i then restart SS, this is what i get:

This is the only thing stopping me from buying this. It is extremely annoying. There is no rhyme or reason as to when it happens

Any setting? anything else that could be causing this?
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Unfortunately, I'm not able to reproduce that on W2K Pro and XP Pro.

Has anybody else this problem?
(Options > Configuration > Appearance > Show icon of Servant Salamander in the Status are of Taskbar must be turned on.)
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Re: Problem With Size - maximizes or nothing

Post by Jan Rysavy »

quimbo wrote:The only way i can get to SS is if i right click the taskbar entry and select maximize. This opens a maximized screen which i do not want.
What happens if you click the Restore button (windows caption) in this state?

Post by Guest »

I willwait until next time and let you know
SvA

Post by SvA »

Jan Rysavy wrote: What happens if you click the Restore button (windows caption) in this state?
As you can see, there is no Restore button, only a Maximise button

Usually this (as in the posted window image) happens if windows size settings are smaller than that minimum window size. This in turn frequently happens when window size of an iconized windows is interrogated while saving window size and position to configuration data. It can olso happen when the window was hidden at that time which can be caused by some window management tools or virtual desktop tools.

@quimbo:
Are you using any alternative shell, window management or enhancement software or any utilities to manage the systray? This includes Software which usually comes with dual head graphic cards to aid in placing windows on the screen in dual screen setup (even when working on one screen only) and portrait-Software. Furthermore this includes any multiple desktop tools which lets you swich among multiple virtual desktops
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

SvA wrote:As you can see, there is no Restore button, only a Maximise button
Why do you think there is no Restore button? The maximized window should have it...
SvA

Post by SvA »

Jan Rysavy wrote:Why do you think there is no Restore button? The maximized window should have it...
You are right, after the window is maximized, there most likely will be a Restore button. I did not consider this because (bold font is my modification):
Jan Rysavy wrote:What happens if you click the Restore button (windows caption) in this state?
I thought this state will refere to exactly the situation shown by the image. Since this shows a window in restored state (i.e. neither minimized nor maximized)...

Unless Salamander handles the restore window event and applies some window size restrictions, I predict Salamander will be restored to look exactly as the image shows.

Post by Guest »

it just happened again. right clicking the button from the taskbar (not the system tray) has the restore button dis-abled (grey)

i am not running any tray managers.

Post by Guest »

and after clicking Maximize to bring the window up, if i click Restore then, itr minimizes it back to the tray.

If i left click on the taskbar icon it does nothing, second click takes it away from the taskbar and only leaves an icon in the tray

Post by Guest »

I will turn off the option to display it in the status area of the tool bar and see what happens.

As an old old old Norton Commander user (and for the past 8 years or so Nico'sCommander http://nicocuppen.com/product.php?prodinfoID=5&prodID=4

This is a grate explorer shell and i more than likely will be pruchasing it. Simple to use without reading documentation, even better after reading just a little.