Servant Salamander 2.5 Release Candidate 1

This is a place for users to discuss Altap Salamander. Please feel free to ask, answer questions, and express your opinion. Please do not post problems, bug reports or feature requests here.
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Servant Salamander 2.5 Release Candidate 1

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Servant Salamander 2.5 Release Candidate 1 will be released this month. Expiration: 6 months later.

During these 6 months we will release SS 2.5 Release Candidate 2 with Czech, German and other language translations and final version 2.5.

I'm sorry for bad news, but we are not able to release final version 2.5 this month. We don't want to bother you (SS users) with another time limited beta, so the SS 2.5 RC1 is latest version you should install before final version.

Development of SS 2.5 is finished from our point of view, we are working on:
1. language translation support (each plugin has own LANG\*.SPL now)
2. documentation (F1 -> Help)
3. MSI installer (unattended/quiet setup)
4. internal ALTAP database update (support for SS 2.5)
----
5. technical support
6. fixes of reported (serious) bugs

Thank you for your feedback during our beta-testing stage. Please keep posting your comments and ideas. We will open public poll for Servant Salamander 3.0 features.
Textor

Re: Servant Salamander 2.5 Release Candidate 1

Post by Textor »

Jan Rysavy wrote:I'm sorry for bad news, but we are not able to release final version 2.5 this month. We don't want to bother you (SS users) with another time limited beta, so the SS 2.5 RC1 is latest version you should install before final version.
No need to feel sorry! 8)

I have been using Salamander for years and hardly ever noticed that it was still in beta stage. In terms of utility and stability, it beats most other file managers with ease.

With betas as good as yours, waiting for the official 2.5 release is no problem.
omega

Post by omega »

I think this is good news to many of us. Six months before expiring and it's finished as well. Only things left are translations and documentation which will take some time.
zxspectrum

We will open public poll for Servant Salamander 3.0 features

Post by zxspectrum »

"We will open public poll for Servant Salamander 3.0 features."

Hi,could you please be more specific about this?thanks
P.S. Also,I agree with Textor about ss25 beta stability and stuff.
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Re: We will open public poll for Servant Salamander 3.0 feat

Post by Jan Rysavy »

zxspectrum wrote:"We will open public poll for Servant Salamander 3.0 features."

Hi,could you please be more specific about this?thanks
We will open a poll and allow users to vote on their favorite features. Based on the results of this poll we will prioritize tasks for Servant Salamander 3.0.
mcleaver

Re: Servant Salamander 2.5 Release Candidate 1

Post by mcleaver »

Textor wrote:
Jan Rysavy wrote:I have been using Salamander for years and hardly ever noticed that it was still in beta stage. In terms of utility and stability, it beats most other file managers with ease.
With betas as good as yours, waiting for the official 2.5 release is no problem.
I agree in many ways, but not with the last sentiment... I find it quite irritating that I have had to reinstall the software every three months. Looking at the amount of time I have spent doing this for the last THREE years, I wonder whether I should pay Altap for the release or they should be paying me :(

Regards

Martin
JohnFredC

Post by JohnFredC »

Uh, how long does it take you to install Salamander?

Less than a minute to download and install for me. That works out to about 5 minutes of effort over the last year or so.

I spend more time than that in the forum every day.
Mouse-centric, Registered
mcleaver

Post by mcleaver »

JohnFredC wrote:Uh, how long does it take you to install Salamander?

Less than a minute to download and install for me. That works out to about 5 minutes of effort over the last year or so.

I spend more time than that in the forum every day.
WHat for? I use SS as a tool and certainly don't want to spend a lot of time talking about it. I also have it installed on my laptop of course for when I'm not in the office and I can assure you it's a real hassle if it turns out (as often) than the old version runs out while I'm away.
And installation demands I start the archive, exit Salamander, install, remove the old setup and then remove the old version and then remove the old entry in a subdirectory of my program menu...

Etc.

Martin