Cant rename,delete or overwrite a file located inside a gzip / cpio archive.

This is a place for users to discuss Altap Salamander. Please feel free to ask, answer questions, and express your opinion. Please do not post problems, bug reports or feature requests here.
ziomario

Cant rename,delete or overwrite a file located inside a gzip / cpio archive.

Post by ziomario »

Hello to everyone.

I would like to remove and or overwrite some files that are located inside a "initrd.gz" file (linux ramdisk image). I would like to add inside the archive 3 files that have the same name but they are different pictures. I've opened the archive with altap salamander and I have tried to copy and paste and to drag and drop the new files saved inside a folder in one of my disks inside the archive. Unfortunately it is not writable. The files don't stick inside of it. I don't know why and I would like to know if I can do this using some kind of workaround. I've attached an image to explain better that I'm trying to say.
Attachments
2022-10-21 21 43 26.png
2022-10-21 21 43 26.png (69.17 KiB) Viewed 3488 times
SvA

Re: Cant rename,delete or overwrite a file located inside a gzip / cpio archive.

Post by SvA »

The TAR plugin, which handles .gz cannot create archives and therefore also not modify them.

I recommend you modify the archive with some other tool. My choice was 7-Zip on Windows and tar on a Unix-like system.

I do not know, however, how an initrd.gz is structured within, and what restrictions apply. You should always be able to extract your archive to a folder tree, modify it there and use the recommended Unix tools to rebuild it.