That's the short answer to title question: Is Salamander dead?
Hi, I dont know why Jan Rysavy or another dev did not post here any update, but Altap company was sold to their's collegues/friends/bosses! AS was made freeware with basic intention on their part to free both devs to work for them full time (and so they should not spend (so much of?) their time on this project anymore).
I am no insider, I just read some articles on Czech IT server Lupa.cz and some comments published there.
And here is my take:
- Altap as company is dead for sure.
- AS is freeware and is not planned to be developed any futher.
- Opening of source code is something they are talking about, but generally not very enthusiastic about (IMHO real shame - if this would happend 10-15y ago, we could have world class file manager here. Much better then Double Commander, FAR or TC).
- Major problem cited is that on developement of SS worked many different programmers trought last two decades and they do not want to bother to make new arragements with them just to open source code.
- Possible very poor state of source (structure, comments, ...)
- I don't know if they just love their baby too much or are code hugers, but are in general not willing to share further.
- But they will continue to use AS (and possibly to put out security fixes and maybe even some minor new features).
Pardon my english - is quite late for me and I am not patient enought to re-read it & polish grammar.