2.52 Beta 2 - FTP MODE Z Compression Error

Discussion of bugs and problems found in Altap Salamander. In your reports, please be as descriptive as possible, and report one incident per report. Do not post crash reports here, send us the generated bug report by email instead, please.
dcarpenter97

2.52 Beta 2 - FTP MODE Z Compression Error

Post by dcarpenter97 »

I was very excited to see Mode Z compression added to the FTP Plugin! I have always needed to switch to CORE FTP to transfer large files that benefit from compression.

I am running against Serv-U FTP Server 7.3, and compression works fine with Core FTP. With Salamander, in the Welcome message I see:
User logged in, proceed.
MODE Z
200 MODE Z ok.

And then another window:
FTP Error
Unable to read the whole list of files and directories from server. The list displayed in panel can be incomplete.
Error: Data is corrupted or incomplete so it cannot be properly decompressed (MODE Z).

However, the directory listing appears to be correct. The FTP Error message (above) appears every time I attempt to change directories, but the listing is OK. I can also copy a file from the FTP server (with compression working!) but when the file completes, I get another message in the file transfer window:

Error retrieving file from server, data is corrupted or incomplete....

The transferred file is the correct size, but is in fact corrupt and cannot be opened (an Excel sheet).
Jan Patera
Plugin Developer
Plugin Developer

Re: 2.52 Beta 2 - FTP MODE Z Compression Error

Post by Jan Patera »

dcarpenter97 wrote:...Serv-U FTP Server 7.3....
FTP Error
Unable to read the whole list of files and directories from server. The list displayed in panel can be incomplete.
Error: Data is corrupted or incomplete so it cannot be properly decompressed (MODE Z).
....The transferred file is the correct size, but is in fact corrupt and cannot be opened (an Excel sheet).
I am able to reproduce the problem. It looks like the server doesn't send compressed data properly terminated. Can you please double check that the downloaded file is really corrupted? It seems to me that everything is always downloaded and decompressed properly, but the error is displayed.
dcarpenter97

Post by dcarpenter97 »

I apologize for giving incorrect information... The files are transferred correctly. Of all the Excel files I had to choose from, I picked one that was corrupt on the server! I also tried a few JPG files, which I assume would go haywire if there was any data corruption. The FTP plugin does continue to pop up the directory read error after every operation.
Petr Solin
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Petr Solin »

I have tested listing and downloading on Serv-U FTP Server 6.0 and it works perfectly. Then I have tried version 8 (demo.Serv-U.com) and it really does not send complete compressed stream (stream terminator is missing). It seems that other FTP clients ignore this server bug, so our FTP client will ignore it too. I think it's not a problem because data transfer is still checked the same way as if you do not use compression (MODE Z). This patch will be available in version 2.52.