2.5 RC2 - mixed feelings

This is a place for users to discuss Altap Salamander. Please feel free to ask, answer questions, and express your opinion. Please do not post problems, bug reports or feature requests here.
daern

2.5 RC2 - mixed feelings

Post by daern »

I received the email about the new version (2.5 RC2) with somewhat mixed feelings. While I appreciate the work being done - the product continues to improve - I've got just one request...

Please, please, please get it out of beta!

I'm pretty fed up now of expiring betas and RCs. 2.5 has been stable for ages and, while I appreciate the major work that's been done on the help system and FTP plugin, I don't actually use either of them, so for me the real "killer feature" of 2.5 will be the fact that I can install it without worrying about the beta expiry.

The most depressing thing of all is that RC2 has an expiry of May 2007 and there's *still* an RC3 to go after that...

Please don't take these comments the wrong way - SS is more stable that nearly every other piece of software that I use. It is my one and only "must have" application and I simply wouldn't be without it. I'm just a bit bugged, not about the development speed, which I appreciate can take a long time for a small team, but for the fact that the software is ready to go. Get it out there and send the help down as a post-release update - the software is capable of it!

The worst of it all is that when I've reported various incompatibities between SS and Vista (now all resolved), Microsoft weren't interested as they "don't accept bug reports about beta software". You're standing on your own feet guys...

Keep up the great work, continue working on the product AND GET IT RELEASED!!! :-)

Daern
(SS licensee for years and years and years)
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

We are looking to final version 2.5 too. As soon as we will finish language translation support, we will release it. From RC1 to RC2 we fixed only a few problems (1 month) and then did Help (5 months)...
daern

Post by daern »

Jan Rysavy wrote:We are looking to final version 2.5 too. As soon as we will finish language translation support, we will release it. From RC1 to RC2 we fixed only a few problems (1 month) and then did Help (5 months)...
Thanks Jan. Do you think you'll get it out well before the May '07 deadline?
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Daern, we will do our best to bring language translation support and final version 2.5 before the RC2 will expire. We know that language support and helps are not essential for pro-users. But at the same time we cannot release final version 2.5 without it (our competitors have it, our users are asking for it).

Post by Guest »

So get you lazy a** up and finish help and translate and then please please please release Servant Salamander v2.5 finally.

This is by far the longest beta phase of software product, I have ever seen.

Best regards,
Guest Nr. XYZ
JohnFredC

Post by JohnFredC »

2Guest
That remark is totally uncalled for. Even if you meant it "tongue in cheek" (did you?) it just came off as insulting and myopic.

Why should any users care how long the beta lasts if the software works as well as Salamander does? The "beta" condition certainly hasn't affected MY use of Salamander: it does what it declares to do and NEVER crashes.
Mouse-centric, Registered
zarevak
Plugin Developer
Plugin Developer

Post by zarevak »

Problems with having Servant Salamander in beta stage is described in other threads. Personally I don't mind using beta version of Servant Salamander, but corporate users does. They cannot use beta software, because it is not reliable. It's their policy :(
Another problem is with Microsoft: Microsoft doesn't support beta software. If you want to resolve some issue in Windows with your software (mainly with upcoming Vista) you have to have final version.
just passing by

Post by just passing by »

There seems to be some moronique stubborness with the devs regarding the release of SS. Can you provide any *rational* explanation why not release SS yesterday beyond complaining about various non-essential issues such as the docs which hardly anyone uses.

I'm not the guest but I agree with what he saz: get yer lazy asses off the couch and release a retail version already. I bet the majority of casual users feel the same way, tey're just not vocal enough. How about a poll? Or perhaps listening to your customers ffs...

- peace
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

We will not release final version 2.5 without documentation and language translation support. We did this mistake with version 2.0.

Just wait for it or use another file manager: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison ... e_managers
Tomcat

Post by Tomcat »

Some guests seem to have limited experience with professional software development.
... non-essential issues such as the docs which hardly anyone uses.
Obviously for some users it is hard to distinguish between what they use and what others may use (especially new users). Trying to sell a software product without documentation would be ridiculous. Think about a marketing statement like "Buy ALTAP Salamander, it is robust, fast, feature-rich and comes without documentation and by the way only in English". I bet that worldwide sales would skyrocket immediately :wink:

ALTAP, please do not pay too much attention to posts like the ones above. I like your thorough approach (and the resulting software).

2 Guest Nr. XYZ and just passing by, graceful whining is an art. Please train that in other forums before you come back.
omega

Post by omega »

How fast ALTAP work on their application is their own business and not yours (referring to the two guests). I think you should speak for yourself and not for the others while you don't seem to have the patience to wait for the final release. Pro users might not need documentation but new users certainly do.
Plus why would casual users complain? There's no reason for home users to rush ALTAP while the beta SS is working very reliable, stable and after the trial it's still functional. If it were corporate users i can understand the need for a faster release but even companies ordering software want documentation to be included. Calling the developers lazy is really pathetic, so if you can't wait any longer go buy a different file manager or make your own one if you can.
passing by

Post by passing by »

@omega & tomcat: I am a *paying* customer! I have payed money for this software and I have *all the rights* to complain or otherwise criticize it - that's an integral part of the concepts of democracy and free markets, at least down here in sweden, EU. SS is an excellent piece of software, no doubt about it. However treating customers the way altap does is unprofessional and irresponsible. If you want to go commercial with your products you should listen to what your customers have to say; and you've got to be deaf and blind not to notice that there is user discontent with the release schedule adapted by the company.

- peace
omega

Post by omega »

You sound like that Ulrik guy "i'm a paying customer". Dude you are not a paying customer, it's not a subscription. You only pay once for the licence to use SS 2.0 the key can also be used on 2.5 (including beta) Read this link http://www.altap.cz/purchase_sal.html Same like the windows os, you only pay for the licence you do not own the product.

Does it makes sense i bought a sony television and after a year i can say i'm a paying customer so where's the new sony television i should get ?
Tomcat

Post by Tomcat »

passing by wrote: I have *all the rights* to complain or otherwise criticize it - that's an integral part of the concepts of democracy and free markets,
2passing by: Complaining and criticizing is a question of free speech. Doing it gracefully is a question of good manners. If you bother to search the forum you will find many comments that ask for a final release. Most of these manage to voice this wish without insulting ALTAP or others.

If you choose to express your opinion in an aggressive style, be prepared to get responses that you do not expect. That is the other side of free speech...

Post by Guest »

If you wish I can repeat it again, again and again.

The beta phase and long development of Servant Salamander is by far the longest one I have ever seen and believe me, I am using Servant Salamander since the very first beginning, as it still was freeware.

I understand that it's important to transfer the software in different languages, that was the reason why my company didn't buy Servant Salamander 2.0 as it wasn't translated into our native language and English is definitely not sufficient for some users.

We intend to buy a large license for hundreds of users but beta software is a no go here in our company.

I really wonder why the development took so long, the translation of help files really can't be the reason.

I am personally stuck with the old v1.52 freeware, as it's the only version, which doesn't annoy me with expired software.

And I repeat it again, get it released before May 2007 please. It's enough now.

Best regards,
Guest Nr. XYZ