Page 4 of 4
Re: Unicode Support
Posted: 19 Aug 2026, 01:10
by KRtek™
I really like the effort put into
RedSalamander. If this project is a tribute to the original Salamander, it's nice to see it's following the same path from the beginning.
It's like a rebirth just 30 years later, same idea, different technologies used at the core.
Well done and keep going!
about fonts - in the Open Salamander, the SegoeUI, 9 DLG is used as default font for the panels. UI uses MSDlg Shell, 8 DLG. I added feature to change the UI font in Samandarin. If SegoeUI,9 is used as the UI panel, the difference is quite obvious - it wastes space (big paddings around).
But it's up to the user in which font she/he wants to use the application

Re: Unicode Support
Posted: 19 Aug 2026, 09:27
by SelfMan
I have to praise the Mole (Krtek) for his effort and what he has done so far. Even the website looks nice. (though I do not like these "infinite scrolling" type. I also have to praise 0xeb and all the guys who put in the effort to keep Salamander alive.
Thank you Guys
SelfMan / ADMIN / Moderator
Re: Unicode Support
Posted: 20 Aug 2026, 00:09
by KRtek™
SelfMan wrote: 19 Aug 2026, 09:27
I have to praise the Mole (Krtek) for his effort and what he has done so far. Even the website looks nice. (though I do not like these "infinite scrolling" type. I also have to praise 0xeb and all the guys who put in the effort to keep Salamander alive.
Thank you Guys
SelfMan / ADMIN / Moderator
Thank you!

I really appreciate it.
Salamander has always been something very personal to me. My father is a programmer, and as a child I loved watching over his shoulder and picking up his habits — already around 1997, when he had an Internet connection installed in our apartment. He used Servant Salamander, so I naturally grew up with it. We even had lessons at elementary school where we were taught to use Salamander and search for files with it.
I've kept using Salamander ever since. So when it became open source, and AI-assisted development advanced to the point where I could realistically work with such a large C++ codebase, everything came together. It finally gave me the opportunity to implement panel tabs and many of the other things I had wanted in Salamander for years.
So yes, for me this is definitely more than just another software project.

Re: Unicode Support
Posted: 20 Aug 2026, 00:41
by SelfMan
Awesome! I am looking forward to the new versions. Keep the good work coming.
Re: Unicode Support
Posted: 20 Aug 2026, 18:32
by Liquidator
ejor wrote: 18 Aug 2026, 16:23
Thanks @liquidator
your comment make sense.
- I've got a compact settings in preferences but clearly not compact enough when activating, it will be fix

- font are not the same because I'm displaying everything in DirectX with modern renderer. But perhaps I need a setting to let you bring your font and not using Segoe UI everywhere
- for toolbar, personally I'm not very fan of toolbar, if I'm adding some what are the most important one for you ?
- for detail view you have it in a compact way (Alt + 3 or menu Left/Right + Detailed), do you see missing information ?
Thanks again for your feedback
I'm used to the newer 3rd and 4th versions of Salamander, although even the first and second were head and shoulders above the competition visually. For as long as I can remember being at a PC since '99, when I was a student, Salamander was always installed by default as my file manager. Even the parallel presence of Total Commander never made it my main one; although it supported Unicode and so on, it just couldn't become the main one and never did

Version 4.0 from 2019 suits me in every way, except for the lack of Unicode support, which upset me more and more with each passing year. And when the Sally and Samandarin forks came out—which visually look like 4.0 (so I no longer have to constantly switch over to Total for Unicode files)—I was incredibly glad, even when they crashed with bugs, even when my interface language didn't work and I had to use the default language, I finally found peace of mind that my favorite file manager hadn't died and can now do everything I need.
As for Red Salamander—it's just not the same. When I launched it, I didn't find anything familiar that I was expecting, but rather just another empty, run-of-the-mill dual-pane file manager
The difference is that they kept everything that is dear and familiar to me visually—the entire settings layout is in the exact same place. They didn't break what was cherished, but they brought along Unicode support, as well as some of their own new plugins and features. Whereas everything you have is new; I won't say it's bad, it's just DIFFERENT and UNFAMILIAR

Re: Unicode Support
Posted: 02 Sep 2026, 10:13
by tukanos
I like all the forks as that means people are liking the project. The issue is that they are splitting the time & effort to do so, but that is nature of the beast.
For me as looong time user I have settled on Sally fork:
https://github.com/0xeb/sally. It tries to extend OS (AS) in predictable ways. The major improvements (or opened issues) are the ones users wanted for long time.