File permissions dialog

Discussion of bugs and problems found in Altap Salamander. In your reports, please be as descriptive as possible, and report one incident per report. Do not post crash reports here, send us the generated bug report by email instead, please.
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

There are several known problems. Sometimes we must draw the line.

Moreover, Altap Salamander 2.5 updates are coming.

Regarding your question: we will try to fix the problem with localized Windows (wrong tab is opened). English Windows looks to work well.
katsuhiko

Post by katsuhiko »

How long will it take to a new version of Salamander ?

In the upcomming 2.51 or before ?

Will it be the way it was before ? (Windows is a mess, it was way better to handle in Salamander!)

Edit: changed version numbers: 2.6 to 2.51, 2.7 to 2.52, and 2.8 to 2.53
me2

very valuable feature

Post by me2 »

I happen to use that permissions feature on a day to day basis with drives that have corrupted ntfs permissions.

It works wonders!

please re-introduce it as i never had a problem with it not working properly! thanks guys!
Branstrom

Post by Branstrom »

Yes, please add it back - I was using it quite often and never had any problems with it whatsoever.
Branstrom

Post by Branstrom »

I also don't like to have to disable Simple Filesharing (which IMO is a comfortable feature) to be able to use the Security tab of the Properties window.
lukasc

bug with "permissions" functionality

Post by lukasc »

Jan Rysavy wrote: Regarding your question: we will try to fix the problem with localized Windows (wrong tab is opened). English Windows looks to work well.
Dear Jan, I am very sorry to say that I use the English version and I still have this bug. Because of it I had to switch back to the 2.0 version :(
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Re: bug with "permissions" functionality

Post by Jan Rysavy »

lukasc wrote:Dear Jan, I am very sorry to say that I use the English version and I still have this bug. Because of it I had to switch back to the 2.0 version :(
Is the Security tab displayed in Properties dialog box?
Did you disable the simple file sharing in Windows?
katsuhiko

Post by katsuhiko »

Jan Rysavy wrote:
lukasc wrote:Dear Jan, I am very sorry to say that I use the English version and I still have this bug. Because of it I had to switch back to the 2.0 version :(
Is the Security tab displayed in Properties dialog box?
Did you disable the simple file sharing in Windows?
As someone already said , turning off simle file sharing is no way to workaround the bug.
Why ? Windows Networking is a mess, moving files out and into a shared directory doesnt mean the files gets the permissions set right and you need
always to re hash permissions. Its annoying.
More than one ppl wants the feature back the way it was on old Salamander, so say plz clear if you are working on it or not.
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

katsuhiko wrote:clear if you are working on it or not.
We will not return to the old dialog box. It is possible to implement it as plugin and we have it on our to-do list. Such plugin will not be included in standard Salamander distribution (will be available on download page).

The better solution will be re-implement this dialog box in Salamander, but it looks like a lot of work.
th.

File permissions dialog

Post by th. »

While testing the German translation of Salamander 2.52 I noticed that this issue is still there, running now under German version of Windows 7 Ultimate RTM.

But, if the command simply opens the Windows properties dialog, the question is if it is of any use at all.
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Re: File permissions dialog

Post by Jan Rysavy »

th. wrote:Ctrl+P or Files->Security->Permissions in the menu brings up the file properties dialog instead of the file permissions dialog.
Problem will be fixed from AS 2.53.