"queue" feature as default

We welcome any suggestions for new features or improvements in Altap Salamander. Please post one suggestion per report.
MarcRené

"queue" feature as default

Post by MarcRené »

Hi,

since I really like the feature to queue copy/move operations, I'd love to see an option which would make this the default.

Perhaps even the choices
( ) always on
( ) always off
(*) smart queue - it is queued when already writing to the same destination

Best regards
Marc
mazy

Post by mazy »

sounds great, especially the smart option. i would use that!
Datalog

Post by Datalog »

What is meant by "same destination"?

Same disk? Same folder? Same directory plus subdirectory (and witch must be subdirectory - already running or just queued)?

And how about UNC paths and directories mapped to drive letter (must be checked if same and how to do it)? Or two different UNC paths (names different) but linked to same directory (or to subdir)?

EDIT:
Or same physical disk (i.e. queue also if copy to different partitions but same physical disk - to minimize seek)?
mazy

Post by mazy »

of course - same physical disc.
MarcRené

Post by MarcRené »

Datalog wrote:Same disk? Same folder?
I'd say the same Drive Letter / Servername.

Same directory plus subdirectory (and witch must be subdirectory - already running or just queued)?
Datalog wrote: And how about UNC paths and directories mapped to drive letter (must be checked if same and how to do it)?
Quite so. If a copy to O:\ is running and O:\ is mapped to \\mytest\files\,
and I start a copy to the same UNC Path, it should be detected. Since Salamander is able to list all connected drives with its UNC path, it should be adoptable without much effort.
Datalog wrote:Or two different UNC paths (names different) but linked to same directory (or to subdir)?
Impossible to detect, me thinks.
Datalog wrote:Or same physical disk (i.e. queue also if copy to different partitions but same physical disk - to minimize seek)?
Nice idea, haven't thought of that.
thuety

Post by thuety »

what about this...

When I copy/move files it's often to the same destination or from the same source. In both cases I'd want it to queue (because of fragmentation at destination or slow seek performance at source) . I'd like it to queue by default but offer an option (button "copy/move now") in each job to override being queued. :wink:
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

thuety wrote:because of fragmentation at destination
Note: Salamander (version 2.5) will not fragment your destination drive because files are prealloacted at the beginning of each operation (Copy/Move/Unpack/...).
frax

Post by frax »

I think it would be useful with some kind of queue manager pane or window, to move tasks up and down in priority and to pause and stop tasks there. I have been using CuteFTP Pro for bigger ftp-ing needs - and it has a really good queue pane on the bottom - I would love to see something like that.
katsuhiko

Post by katsuhiko »

frax wrote:I think it would be useful with some kind of queue manager pane or window, to move tasks up and down in priority and to pause and stop tasks there. I have been using CuteFTP Pro for bigger ftp-ing needs - and it has a really good queue pane on the bottom - I would love to see something like that.
I am used to FlashFXP. I support the idea of having a Queue Manager.

I got a lot files on my hdd's, so when i start to sort them iam always
putting the first file/directory to pause and add all other copy/move
tasks to wait till first is done.

A Queue like in FTP programs with a list where i can add (ctrl-q in FlashFXP)
files/directorys to move/copy to other locations on my whole hdd's
or remove a copy/move task in waiting in the list would be very useful.

Windows is not realy good in copy/move more files @ the same time.