RC3 Quick Rename: Copying the name of file

This is a place for users to discuss Altap Salamander. Please feel free to ask, answer questions, and express your opinion. Please do not post problems, bug reports or feature requests here.
jocare

RC3 Quick Rename: Copying the name of file

Post by jocare »

With Salamander when I want to copy the name of a file, I press F2 and then Ctl+C, but this new version 2.5 RC3, When I press F2, it shows me the name of the file in a dialog box, but the extension is not selected. In al previous versions, the whole name was selected. What can I do so that when I press F2 both the name and the extension are already selected?[list][/list]
SelfMan

Post by SelfMan »

This topic is currently under heavy discussion in the czech part of this forum. I believe that we will come to a usable solution for the final version.
maxovt

Post by maxovt »

Theres is also command in Edit: "Copy Name as Text" (Alt+Shift+Insert)
"Make File List" (Ctrl+M) in Commands is usefull too.
Or just click with mouse on file name in Information Line.
My deepest apologies for my awful English.
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

FOR ALL 2.5 RC3 USERS

For Czech-speaking users there is an ongoing thread.

We introduced a new Quick Rename behavior for several reasons:
1. We think it is better for the renaming
2. We had several request from our users (for example [1] [2] [3])
3. Windows Vista works the same way, it will become standard in a few years.

What we want to do now is support Ctrl+A (Select All) in this edit line.
We can also introduce a new option in the configuration to bring back old behavior.

Could you please let us know how you like new behavior?
Please specify: how do you use the Quick Rename command.

Example:
1. Mostly for copying name to clipboard, so new behavior is disturbing for me.
2. Sometimes for changing the name part (BEFORE: Ctrl+Left, Left, Shift+Home, type; NOW: type) so I welcome the change.

Please, let us know...
Klettermaxe

Post by Klettermaxe »

I like it the way it is now in RC3.

For copying filenames I use Alt+Shift+Insert. Copying filenames with F2 - Ctrl+C (and inserting the filename elsewhere with F2 - Ctrl+V) still works as before as long as the file-extensions of the source file and the destination file match.

Salamander already has a huge lot of options. If you think of making F2 more flexible, Strg+A in the edit field might be the more useful solution.
KNUT

Post by KNUT »

Jan Rysavy wrote:Example:
2. Sometimes for changing the name part (BEFORE: Ctrl+Left, Left, Shift+Home, type; NOW: type) so I welcome the change.
Here's my vote: 2!
To copy the name I use Alt+Shift+Insert or the Information line!
Kind regards, KNUT

Post by Guest »

I would be very happy to have "the option in the configuration to bring back old behavior."

Maybe I will get used to the new behavior... But being able to decide about the behavior myself would definitely be great!
SvA

Post by SvA »

My usage of quick rename is very varying. I guess I just as often use it to get the file name as to change the name part and as to change the extension part.
I would prefer the old behaviour, but with the new, I will get used to pressing ALT+SHIFT+INSERT and modified cursor moves to place carret/select filename parts.

An option to turn off the new behaviour would save me from having to relearn though, and thus, be wery welcome.

Post by Guest »

My vote goes to the new behaviour. I think that it is a real advantage, regarding the original purpose (quick rename). I think that I will quickly get used to other ways for copying the full name to the clipboard and CTRL+A will help me out when trying F2 like in the old days.

No option needed for me.
Sebastian

Post by Sebastian »

New behavior rocks!

@oldstyle-fans
Let the user choose is always the best choice, with this option noone has to complain ;)

Maybe it is possible to set some shortcut to copy the filename straight to clipboard? For example, i didn't find anything related to "shift+f2", so maybe you can implement this and it is maybe quicker than the old style ;)
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Try the Edit > Copy Name as Text (Alt+Shift+Insert) command or click on name in the Information Line.

We plan to use Shift+F2 for the Duplicate command.
Textor

Post by Textor »

Jan Rysavy wrote:FOR ALL 2.5 RC3 USERS
What we want to do now is support Ctrl+A (Select All) in this edit line.
We can also introduce a new option in the configuration to bring back old behavior.

Could you please let us know how you like new behavior?
Please specify: how do you use the Quick Rename command.
Example:

Please, let us know...
I use "Quick Rename"/ F2 only for renaming files, because there are other methods (as mentioned) for copying a file name to the clipboard. The new method of selecting by default only the name, not the .ext helps with renaming, so I'm not missing the old one.

Adding a "Select All" function to the F2-dialog as proposed could also be useful for editing the file name, so I am in favor of this.
SelfMan

Post by SelfMan »

In the czech part of this forum came a idea of a cyclic F2.
In example:
F2 > Select whole filename
F2 F2 > Select name
F2 F2 F2 > Select extension

Altap refused such implementation as non standard behavior, but I am interested in your opinions.
th.

Post by th. »

Since I'm using F2 only to rename a file and in most cases the filename part only, I like the new style as it is.

I don't like the idea of cyclic F2.

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:I would be very happy to have "the option in the configuration to bring back old behavior."

Maybe I will get used to the new behavior... But being able to decide about the behavior myself would definitely be great!
Agreed. At least, have a configuration option to allow the old behavior.