Open Salamander on GitHub

This is a place for users to discuss Altap Salamander. Please feel free to ask, answer questions, and express your opinion. Please do not post problems, bug reports or feature requests here.
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Open Salamander on GitHub

Post by Jan Rysavy »

We apologize that the open source version of Salamander took longer than we expected. We have renamed the project to Open Salamander and posted the source code to the https://github.com/OpenSalamander/salamander repository.

Further development should take place on GitHub.
therube

Re: Open Salamander on GitHub

Post by therube »

Prerequisites

Windows 10 or newer
Ouch (as said by Win7 ;-) - though that is for "Development" [where hopefully a Release will still support 7].).
WinXP Pro SP3 or Win7 x86 | SS 2.54
WaldemarH

Post by WaldemarH »

Hi Jan.

A BIG THANKS for all that has been done. :)

Now we need to define how changes will be made for future code.
It would be good if we'll define what somebody will do so that we wont have multiple persons working on the same thing.

At start I would like to work on (to get to know the code):
- add a little more customizations to the colors section
- pimp the list of Working Directories
- add sub-menus/grouping option to hot paths

What are your ideas on how future of OS should go?

Best regards
Waldemar
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

-=Majkl=- is working on Czech to English comments translations: viewtopic.php?t=45272
First pull request: https://github.com/OpenSalamander/salamander/pull/3

My wishlist:
Introduce Git subrepositories for third-party libraries, see https://github.com/OpenSalamander/salamander/issues/8
Setup nightly builds: https://github.com/OpenSalamander/salamander/issues/6
Switch PictView plugin to WIC image engine (pvw32cnv.dll is not open sourced)
Upgrade OpenSSL for FTP client
Upgrade WinSCP plugin
Unicode support: viewtopic.php?t=44639
Dark mode support

Idea: we can move to GitHub Discussions: https://github.com/OpenSalamander/salam ... iscussions
WaldemarH

Post by WaldemarH »

started the discussion :)
xm

Post by xm »

Thank you very much for the opensourced Salamander!

The source looks ok to me, building in MSVS works, so now I probably know what I will do for relax over the Christmas holidays ;-).
(Note: some Czech comments in the code are written "naturally" but from the heart - they made me laugh, thanks.)

On my wish list is also support for paths longer than the MAX_PATH relic (after the already mentioned UNICODE).
Georgd

Post by Georgd »

Jan Rysavy wrote: 09 Dec 2023, 14:59 Idea: we can move to GitHub Discussions: https://github.com/OpenSalamander/salam ... iscussions
As forum.altap.cz contains a wealth of details about requested enhancements, solved issues, etc. do you, @all, think it make sense to start threads for the same topics in GitHub?

From my experience, I expect two partly overlapping "forums" will make things more complicated, e.g. users expect automated actions that do not happen (e.g. adding back-links), finding a certain post is harder, keeping an overview of all aspects on one topic is more time consuming, etc. My 2 cents:
  • If forum.altap.cz remains online, stay with existing topics (user view point) there and use GitHub only for developer view point topics, e.g. the build process, how libraries are included, etc.
  • If forum.altap.cz is planned to be shut down, let's check for possibilities to export existing topics to GutHub, then making forum.altap.cz read only and add a bold banner that it moved to GitHub.
Using Salamander since v 1.52
Georgd

Post by Georgd »

Salamander has a feature to send bug reports, e.g. after a crash like it happens when viewing a CSV file. Are (or will be in the future) these reports also be availabe for Open Salamander developers?

I'd understand a "no", amongst other reasons, because these reports could contain sensitive information that was intended to become available to few developers only but not the general public. If no, we shall define how known bugs can be reported again in a public space so Open Salamander developers can take care of them – and adapt the bug reporting feature accordingly.
therube

Post by therube »

e.g. after a crash like it happens when viewing a CSV file
If you have not updated, a fix is here: Crash on viewing a CSV file.
therube

Post by therube »

I am far more in tune with forums rather then "git".
(Not to mention that "git" discriminates against browsers, like my browser, SeaMonkey ;-), often relying on chrome-ism.)

As far as duplicating threads, I don't think that makes sense.
Though if someone comments in one place or the other, & it then becomes pertinent for the other, then simply link to the appropriate end.
Georgd

Post by Georgd »

therube wrote: 11 Jan 2024, 17:34
e.g. after a crash like it happens when viewing a CSV file
If you have not updated, a fix is here: Crash on viewing a CSV file.
Thank you for pointing there - my CSV problems are gone now. I can just say +1 for the qestion whether this fix can made be found by checkVersion....