Hangs moving folders on same drive

Discussion of bugs and problems found in Altap Salamander. In your reports, please be as descriptive as possible, and report one incident per report. Do not post crash reports here, send us the generated bug report by email instead, please.
ChrisGorringe

Hangs moving folders on same drive

Post by ChrisGorringe »

With 4.0, if I move folders from one location to another on the same drive, it works fine for a while and then the next attempt appears to hang. If I press the Cancel button on the Move dialog, I get the dialog asking if I wish to cancel etc. If I click yes, the Move dialog remains and the move process appears to be hung - Salamander behind is still responsive. Task manager shows another Salamander process, salmon.exe with parameters "Salmon7C1" "english.slg" which I am assuming is the Salamander bug reporter. If I user Sysinternals Process Explorer to try and bring this window visible, it reports that there is no window to make visible.
If I log off and back on again, it does not fix the problem but if I restart the computer, it then works fine.
I have also noticed that if I attempt to move the same folder with Windows Explorer, that too, will sit there with no progress but this is only after Salamander has attempted to move the folder but then hung.
Any ideas?
therube

Re: Hangs moving folders on same drive

Post by therube »

Perhaps WhatIsHang can offer some clues.
(Probably not to me, but can't hurt.)

In Salamander, Help | Task List..., can break a different Salamander instance, & doing that may also provide some clues (report that you can send in)?

Anything special/odd with your copy/move source/destination?

Maybe list your non-Microsoft shell extensions, ShellExView?

What OS (& version, if 10).

With 4.0
So there is no issue with 3.08?
WinXP Pro SP3 or Win7 x86 | SS 2.54
ChrisGorringe

Post by ChrisGorringe »

I will give WhatisHang a go and see what I find.
I wasn't aware of the Salamandar Task list so I will explore that to.
I have been using 3.08 on the same machine from its release without any issues.
The source and destination are both a physical disk on the local machine but it is a RAID array using the Intel C600 SATA Raid controller.
The OS is Windows 10 Enterprise 64bit with 32Gb ram.
I don't believe it to be shell extension because this occurs without initiating any of the shell extensions.

The problem occurs more frequently after I have moved a nest of folders that contain large files (1 GB to 6 GB). I.e. these move fine but the next move which could be a small folder or just a few files will appear to hang.
I don't think the thread has blocked because the Move dialog is still respsonsive but it still doesn't do anything.

The concern I do have is that the Salmon.exe process appears in the tasklist but has no UI to interact with. WIth 3.08, from memory I thought this process has a UI to allow you to submit possible bugs to Altap?
therube

Post by therube »

The concern I do have is that the Salmon.exe process appears in the tasklist but has no UI to interact with.
That looks to be expected.
3.08 is the same.
salamand.exe loads, & salmon.exe is a windowless child (sounds harsh, but that's the way life is ;-).)
WIth 3.08, from memory I thought this process has a UI to allow you to submit possible bugs to Altap?
Suspect that only occurs with a crash, & so with a (then) existing crash report that can be submitted back to Altap.
WinXP Pro SP3 or Win7 x86 | SS 2.54
ChrisGorringe

Post by ChrisGorringe »

Understand about the Salmon process.

Because the large files are ISO images that are being compressed to 7z files, I am suspisious of Windows InTune(Defender). I think it may be scanning these 7z files when they are being accessed to be deleted.
I have temporarily stopped the MpMPEng.exe service to see if it makes a difference. So far so good.
SelfMan

Post by SelfMan »

Its a good idea to disable Defender if you have a regular antivirus solution. Its never a good Idea to run two and more antivirus programs simultaneously.
ChrisGorringe

Post by ChrisGorringe »

It is Defender that is causing the problem.
The difficulty is that Defender is integral to Microsoft Intune so to disable it is not simple.
Anyway, at least I now know that it isn't Salamander.
Thanks for your help.
SelfMan

Post by SelfMan »

Well, this batch might do:

Code: Select all

REG ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender" /v "DisableAntiSpyware" /t "REG_DWORD" /d "1" /f
REG ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender\UX Configuration" /v "Notification_Suppress" /t "REG_DWORD" /d "1" /f
REG ADD "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SecurityHealthService" /v "Start" /t "REG_DWORD" /d "3" /f
REG ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\MRT" /v "DontOfferThroughWUAU" /t "REG_DWORD" /d "1" /f
ChrisGorringe

Post by ChrisGorringe »

Thanks for the registry hacks.
Although these may have an effect with standard Defender, it isn't the same when InTune is involved. It is all managed from the Azure portail via policies so the only thing you can do is either set exclusions in the Intune policies or disable the service using something like PowerRun (needs to be TrustedInstaller privelages).
SelfMan

Post by SelfMan »

Ok, so what happens if you put Salamander in to exclusions?