Total Commander Proxy Plugin

Support for developers of new plugins, third-party plugin announcements and discussions.
McLion

Re: Total Commander Proxy Plugin

Post by McLion »

I'd love to see that update too.
Meanwhile, I'll have to revert to Salamander 3.08 :x
Last edited by McLion on 26 Jul 2019, 13:21, edited 1 time in total.
MartinS

Post by MartinS »

McLion wrote: 26 Jul 2019, 11:42 I'd love to see that update too.
Meanwhile, I'll have to revert Salamander 3.08 :x
Me too :-(
jkehrel

Post by jkehrel »

For me too.
Have to wait with update until Total Commander Proxy Plugin for Salamander 4.0 is ready.
Patrik

Post by Patrik »

Dear Manison

As a "old" Salamander user from the beginning of 2000, I use the file manager as my daily tool.

Me too would very much appreciate to get an updated version for the new ALTAP V4.0.
I wish you a very nice day.
Patrik
McLion

Post by McLion »

Please stand-by ... new version is in the pipe :D
SvA

Post by SvA »

McLion wrote: 12 Aug 2019, 16:46 Please stand-by ... new version is in the pipe :D
How do you know?

As I see it, it makes little sense to bug Manison as long as the SDK is not released yet.
manison
Plugin Developer
Plugin Developer

Post by manison »

SvA wrote: 12 Aug 2019, 19:59 How do you know?
McLion has been testing some preliminary version of TC Proxy. I will release it soon for general audience.
manison
Plugin Developer
Plugin Developer

Post by manison »

Updated version 0.84 of Total Commander Proxy Plugin with Altap Salamander 4.0 support is available for download.

⚠️ Please note that some x64 TC plugins that used to work with TC Proxy in AS 3.08 may stop working (crashing, not loading at all, etc) in AS 4.0. This is not bug in AS nor TC Proxy, it's most probably hidden bug in the Total Commander plugin (WFX/WLX/WCX) itself that manifests in AS 4.0 due to the way the new version of AS is built (technical details at the end of the post).

If you are using the uLister plugin, I'm attaching here the fixed version you can use with TC Proxy in AS 4.0.
ulister.zip
(52.76 KiB) Downloaded 462 times

Why some x64 TC plugins do not work in AS 4.0? (technical background)
The new AS 4.0 is built with high entropy VA executable image option (you can verify it directly in AS using the PE Viewer on the salamand.exe). This means that every memory allocation made from within the AS is beyond 4 GB. Some poorly written TC plugins can't handle "true" 64b addresses and crashes. Eg the already mentioned uLister plugin truncates the 64b address to 32 bits. When accessing the memory through the truncated pointer the infamous access violation exception is raised.

Why did it work in previous versions?
Previous versions of AS didn't have the high entropy VA enabled.

Why does it work in TC?
I guess TC doesn't enable high entropy VA till these days.

Can't AS disable high entropy?
The AS developers surly can build AS with high entropy VA disabled. But Microsoft designed this as a security measure and without it AS could be more susceptible to security attacks. Disabling it is therefore not a good idea.

Can't TC Proxy do something with this?
Unfortunately it can't. The behavior is controlled by the main process and it is AS. Additional DLLs/plugins loaded into the process can't change the behavior.

What can I do with it?
Definitely report it here so other users know what works and what does not.

If the TC plugin comes with source codes you can
  • try to fix it yourself
  • report it to the plugin author to fix it for you
  • report it here so hopefully someone can fix it
If the TC plugin is closed source you may report it to the plugin developers and tell them about the high entropy VA/ASLR.
MartinS

Post by MartinS »

Thanks Manison, especially fo the ulister.

I have problem with Windows Media Audio 2 (wpdplug.wfx64) - when I select the MediaAudio2 from the drive menu (with no phone connected) it shows empty panel (which is OK), but when I then later close AS (ALt-F4) it generates crash error report.
tukanos

Post by tukanos »

Great news! Thank you very much for porting it to AS 4.0. It would be nice if you would have a way to support you, so we could donate some amount for your efforts.
manison
Plugin Developer
Plugin Developer

Post by manison »

MartinS wrote: 16 Aug 2019, 12:43 I have problem with Windows Media Audio 2 (wpdplug.wfx64)…
What version of the Windows Media Audio 2 plugin do you have? I noticed that this page lists plugin version as 1.2. However I downloaded today and in the downloaded archive the pluginst.inf file says the version is actually 1.4 updated on 17th January 2019. Please ensure you have the latest version. I cannot reproduce the crash with version 1.4.
tukanos wrote: 16 Aug 2019, 15:37 Great news! Thank you very much for porting it to AS 4.0. It would be nice if you would have a way to support you, so we could donate some amount for your efforts.
Thank you tukanos for your very kind words. I'll think of it :)
MartinS

Post by MartinS »

manison wrote: 16 Aug 2019, 17:23 What version of the Windows Media Audio 2 plugin do you have? I noticed that this page lists plugin version as 1.2. However I downloaded today and in the downloaded archive the pluginst.inf file says the version is actually 1.4 updated on 17th January 2019. Please ensure you have the latest version. I cannot reproduce the crash with version 1.4.
I have version 1.4 too. My steps to reproduce:
Unplug the phone
start AS64 as administrator
open MediaAudio2 using drive menu
close AS

But the plugin works OK when the phone is connected, so it is OK for me. I was just curious if it is a problem in AS, Proxy Plugin or MediaAudio plugin.
McLion

Post by McLion »

Thanks a million for the great work to manison :D
vld

Post by vld »

I had a serious problem with the Windows Media Audio 2 plugin v1.2 and won't touch it again. It hung on a couple of my systems. The 1st time I did not stop it in time and it began deleting my Windows files. Next time I tried to reproduce on another system, I stopped it in time and did not loose as many files.
manison
Plugin Developer
Plugin Developer

Post by manison »

vld wrote: 18 Aug 2019, 17:57 I had a serious problem with the Windows Media Audio 2 plugin v1.2 and won't touch it again. It hung on a couple of my systems. The 1st time I did not stop it in time and it began deleting my Windows files. Next time I tried to reproduce on another system, I stopped it in time and did not loose as many files.
Might be the same problem reported here viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2166&start=120#p26001. It has been fixed long time ago.