Problem: Delayed Move and Copy Operations

Discussion of bugs and problems found in Altap Salamander. In your reports, please be as descriptive as possible, and report one incident per report. Do not post crash reports here, send us the generated bug report by email instead, please.
Tim

Problem: Delayed Move and Copy Operations

Post by Tim »

Dear Forum,

recently I've noticed that move and copy operations are delayed.
Even if I just want to copy or move a single small file it sometimes takes 1-2 seconds before the process starts. Have I activated some obscure option that triggers this delay?
How can I get back to fast and direct move an copy processes?

Thanks for any help in advance!
Tim
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Hi Tim,

Did you encounter this problem with Servant Salamander 2.5 RC1?
What is the destination for your Copy/Move operations (hard disk, network, flash drive, ...)?
Is Shift+Delete (direct delete, bypass Recycle Bin) delayed too?

Which OS do you use?
Did you recently install some new software?

We are not aware of this problem.
Tim

Post by Tim »

Thanks for your quick reply, Jan!

I don't think I encounterd this problem with Servant Salamander 2.5 RC1.

All operations are executed on a hard disk.

Shift+Delete is also sometimes delayed.

I use Win XP Pro SP 2.

Installed IE 7 some weeks ago.

Best regards
Tim
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

So the problem appears only sometimes, even for Copy/Move operations?

Is the operation window displayed (with progress = 0%) before Salamander freezes for 2 seconds? Or does it freeze first and then display the progress window?

Could you please test SS 2.5 RC1 again?
Here it is: http://www.altap.cz/ftp/salamand/ss25rc1f.exe
(You can install/uninstall it without worry, RC2 will not be affected.)
Tim

Post by Tim »

Tested it: same behavior in RC1.

Here's what happens when I copy/move just a few files:

(1) I hit ENTER.

(2) The operation window is displayed for the fraction of a second (since there is so little data to be copied/moved).

(3) The files are still on the source side. It takes another 1-2 s before they appear on the target side.

Is it perhaps a display problem?

BR
Tim
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Is it possible to leave current directory (for example using Backspace) before files are displayed in the target panel?

Try to press Ctrl+F9 (Refresh command) immediately after the progress window is closed. It looks like problem with notifications about file changes.

Try to turn off option Options > Configuration > Drives > Fixed drives > Use automatic refresh.
SelfMan

Antivirus

Post by SelfMan »

Tim, do you have a Antivirus installed? Which one?
If yes, try to disable it for the test and see if these delays are still there.

If not, check your harddrive with checkdisk.
chkdsk c: /F
Tim

Post by Tim »

@ Jan:

> Is it possible to leave current directory (for example using Backspace) before files are displayed in the target panel?

- No.

> Try to press Ctrl+F9 (Refresh command) immediately after the progress window is closed.

- Pressing any key has no effect.

> Try to turn off option Options > Configuration > Drives > Fixed drives > Use automatic refresh.

- This did not help.

@ SelfMan

Tuning off the AntiVirus did not help.
Checkdisk will be executed at next system startup.

Thanks for your input!

BR
Tim
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Tim, I'm sorry, but we have no idea how to solve your problem. It looks like some problem with your Windows, probably caused by some software (antivirus, windows skinning software, firewall, ...).

Try to uninstall recently installed software (you mentioned the RC1 was OK, but now it freezes too).
Tim

Post by Tim »

Yes, I'm afraid the problem lies outside of SS.
Anyway, thanks for all your help!

Have a nice day
Tim
antp

Post by antp »

I also noticed similar problems recently (in addition of delete/copy/move, it also sometimes happens when exiting from PictView), but I did not install anything on my PC recently, except the RC2 of Salamander 2.5 and IE 7 (but that one is maybe difficult to remove :/)
I do not have any skinning software, antivirus or firewall running.
I have same problem with RC1 that I just installed in a separate folder, so I guess that the problem is not only from Salamander but something else on the PC that "annoys" Salamander.
I'll try to make a test on another PC by installing IE 7 to see if it comes from there.
antp

Post by antp »

I made the test: this morning I did a Windows Update on my PC at work to install IE 7 like I did on my home PC: now Salamander has this problem here too (just before this update it was running fine). So I guess that it is caused by the installation of IE 7 or one of the latest updated published by Microsoft.
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

antp wrote:I did a Windows Update on my PC at work to install IE 7 like I did on my home PC: now Salamander has this problem here too (just before this update it was running fine).
Windows XP SP2?
antp

Post by antp »

Yes, all available updates are installed (one PC with SP2 installed, the other was a XP with built-in SP2)
Mem

Post by Mem »

I sometimes experience the very same problem - there is a delay even if I only want to change file selection (up/down arrow) and there are also events lost (I press several times down, but after delay nothing happens, only the same file is selected). On my PC there are many appliations installed so it's quite impossible to guess, what is causing the problem, but I confirm I had IE7 beta installed and have XP SP2 too.