Date inserted by hotkey

We welcome any suggestions for new features or improvements in Altap Salamander. Please post one suggestion per report.

Date inserted by hotkey

Post by Guest »

I'd love to have a hotkey (global in ServantSalamander) that iserts the current date in a format I specified in the options. That way, I could insert the current date by one single key combination in rename a directory / file, search, batch rename,... I hope it's easy to implement as it would be great benefit! I type the date at least 5-10 times a day...
Mem

Post by Mem »

I do it either (create or rename files with appended datetime like yymmdd_hhmm), but the important thing is word "global" and not only in SS. When I use context menu on file and invoke other app (WinRAR instead of internal archiver etc.) I use datetime too and at that time SS is out of the game, so I suggest to use really "global" utility for this purpose and not to implement it in SS.

Can someone suggest some simple and efficient utility for this purpose?
SvA

Post by SvA »

I don't use the tool myself (because I do not currently need any such functionality), but if I needed such a function, I definitely first had a look at AutoHotKey.
It might not be the leanest program to only add a date on a hotkey, but AutoHotKey is very versatile.
Mem

Post by Mem »

SvA: Thx for the tip!
Georgd

Re: date hotkey wanted

Post by Georgd »

Mem wrote:the important thing is word "global" and not only in SS. When I use context menu on file and invoke other app (WinRAR instead of internal archiver etc.) I use datetime too and at that time SS is out of the game, so I suggest to use really "global" utility for this purpose and not to implement it in SS.
I do the vast majority of file operations within Salamander, often use date/time stamp (backup ZIPs, temp dirs, photo dirs,...) so a Salamander-interal hotkey for date/time would already help massively - request +1. In MS Office OneNote, it's CTRL+SHIFT+D for date and +F for full date+time. Running AHK only for that purpose is "slightly" overengineered ;) Cheers, Georg
Using Salamander since v 1.52
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Re: Date inserted by hotkey

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Nice idea for Automation script!

http://forum.altap.cz/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3799
th.

Post by th. »

I've created a renaming script as an example, see the thread mentioned above.
Georgd

Post by Georgd »

This script is nice, but not what I need. Some reasons why I want a hotkey that pastes date or date+time, not that script
  • Hot Key would work evrywhere, also in other plugins, dialogs etc
  • I could add date/time at any position in the file, listing, search,... -- not just the end of files
  • it requires less key strokes (one instead of 5 (STRL+SHIFT+A, 1x r to jump to scripts whose name starts with r, 2x down, 1x enter))
  • It is high quality and widly tested. Read as: it works instead of script crashing Salamander.
Maybe all of this is possible with automation, too, than it's fine for me, too :) Georg
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

All mentioned issues could be easily solved with script for Automation plugin. You can assign hot key to particular script, use Plugins > Plugins Manager > (choose Automation) > Keyboard button.
Automation scripts could be rock-solid. If they crash Salamander, it's Automation problem and we should fix it -- let us know if you find way.
th.

Post by th. »

The crash has been discussed in the other thread. It seems to be a problem inside the automation plugin.
As Jan said, a hotkey can be assigned to a script so there's no problem.

BUT: As far as I know it is not possible (yet) for a script to be run when the AS main windows is not the active one.
Last edited by th. on 27 Mar 2010, 22:31, edited 1 time in total.
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

th. wrote:BUT: As far as I know it is not possible (yet) for a script to be run when the AS main windows is not the active one.
The same applies to other (standard) Salamander commands. Main window needs to be active to receive hot keys.
Georgd

Post by Georgd »

Jan Rysavy wrote:
th. wrote:BUT: As far as I know it is not possible (yet) for a script to be run when the AS main windows is not the active one.
The same applies to other (standard) Salamander commands. Main window needs to be active to receive hot keys.
Do I understand corrtly that this means I won't be able to add the date in dialogs, other plugins etc?
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Scripts executed with the Automation plugin (see Plugins > Automation menu) are available only from the main window of Altap Salamander.
Georgd

Post by Georgd »

Jan Rysavy wrote:Scripts executed with the Automation plugin (see Plugins > Automation menu) are available only from the main window of Altap Salamander.
Well, then it is required to build the hotkey into Salamander core, as providing the desired functionality via Automation is not possible (contradiction to post of Mar 26, 2010 6:26 pm).
azaz44

Post by azaz44 »

+1 for having a hotkey to enter date or date+time, for renaming, creating new folder, extracting etc.. I enter current date a lot.