RC2 Congratulations! and Request

This is a place for users to discuss Altap Salamander. Please feel free to ask, answer questions, and express your opinion. Please do not post problems, bug reports or feature requests here.
JohnFredC

RC2 Congratulations! and Request

Post by JohnFredC »

Wow, the help file is very nice! Thank you!

Request:

Is it possible to include a menu item that would allow me to"zoom" the help? Maybe the ability to change the fontsize up or down in increments is what I need (the help text is very small on my screen).

Or am I missing something?
th.

Post by th. »

The fontsize in the textwindow can be changed with CTRL+mouse wheel up/down (like in Internet Explorer).
JohnFredC

Post by JohnFredC »

Sorry, that doesn't work on my system, not in Salamander Help and not in IE (I have IE V7 installed). Ctrl-scroll wheel does nothing.
Mouse-centric, Registered
ino

Post by ino »

JohnFredC wrote:Sorry, that doesn't work on my system, not in Salamander Help and not in IE (I have IE V7 installed). Ctrl-scroll wheel does nothing.
Try this: be sure you have only one instance of your MSIE opened. Go to menu (I guess menu View) find text size and set it to Largest. Might help...
JohnFredC

Post by JohnFredC »

That did it!

Thank you very much.

My request for font size directly from help still stands, though!
Datalog

Post by Datalog »

JohnFredC wrote: My request for font size directly from help still stands, though!
The help engine is standard MS (HTML help) - so wouldn't it be better to send this request to Microsoft?

What about other programs? Haven't you same problem with other sw, using HTML help (nearly all sw under MS windows)?
JohnFredC

Post by JohnFredC »

You're may be right, but my (perhaps mistaken) understanding of HTML help has been that the developer can control what appears in the menus. I haven't built HTML help myself, though.

Was scanning the new Salamander Help only out of curiosity and as a courtesy to the developers who spent so much time on it. They did a very good job.
Datalog

Post by Datalog »

JohnFredC wrote:... can control what appears in the menus. ...
I'm not 100% sure, but I know only "bad" ways to increase/decrease font.
- use hack (bookmarklet javascript:void(document.body.style.zoom='150%') and not sure if it would work if associated with jump toolbar button
- start HTML help (when F1 pressed in Salamander) with another font (same font but another size) without possibility to increase/decrease after help started
- may be some ActiveX???

Menu items with font size exists in old WinHelp help (.hlp) not in HTML help (.chm)