Special Characters in File Names

Discussion of bugs and problems found in Altap Salamander. In your reports, please be as descriptive as possible, and report one incident per report. Do not post crash reports here, send us the generated bug report by email instead, please.
rharding

Special Characters in File Names

Post by rharding »

If a file with special characters (for example, α-Amino-β-methylaminopropionic Acid (BMAA).pdf OR Hrdlička- 1908 - Physiological and medical observations among the I.pdf) are found using the command Find Files and Directories then it is impossible to perform any operations (open, copy, move) on them.

Is there a resolution to this issue?

Richard
therube

Re: Special Characters in File Names

Post by therube »

Lack of unicode support (at present).

Best you can do at this point is to try to work-around the issue, by (dare I say) opening the file in Windows Explore (link on Salamander's Toolbar).
That could work for an "every so often" item.
But if you run into this regularly ... ?
WinXP Pro SP3 or Win7 x86 | SS 2.54
rharding

Re: Special Characters in File Names

Post by rharding »

Thank you. I have discovered the post "Filenames with hyphen clogs AS" which is reporting the same issue.

I have over 2000 medical journal articles as PDF files. The files are named <author>_<year of publication>_<title of article>.

So there are dozens of files containing Greek letters (alpha, beta, delta . . .) and many authors such as Hrdlička that have unicode characters. It is easy to find the files containing the Greek letters and replace the unwanted characters but finding problem authors is more difficult.

Most of the time it is not an issue but it can be annoying if I wish to do copy a number of files as my reference manager stores each PDF file in a separate folder.

Richard