Filenames with hyphen clogs AS

Discussion of bugs and problems found in Altap Salamander. In your reports, please be as descriptive as possible, and report one incident per report. Do not post crash reports here, send us the generated bug report by email instead, please.
tajmone

Filenames with hyphen clogs AS

Post by tajmone »

AS 3.08 x64

Today I've discovered that if a folder contains a filename with hyphen (ie: Unicode U+2010, not the minus sign) AS won't allow to do any operations on that file when selected (eg: moving it, delete it, etc.). Double clicking on the file to open it does work, though.

Also, the presence of a hyphened file seems to compromise usage of other files in that folder too: for example, you can't select and delete other files in the panel containing the hyphened file. Possibly, there are other problems too tied to the presence of a file with Unicode hyphen, but didn't have time to discover them all.

I regularly use em and en dashes in filenames, and this never caused any issue with AS, only the U+2010 hyphen seems to raise problems. As far as I'm aware of, this is not an illegal character in Windows file names, so it should be usable.

This is a bit of pain, since in various Git projects the hyphen is used instead of minus; for example, many Wikis replace hyphen-minus of filename to space when creating the page title for that document file, so the workaround to preserve a hyphen in the page title is to use a hyphen U+2010 instead. When I clone similar projects locally, I can't use AS fully to work with them.
https://github.com/tajmone
SelfMan

Re: Filenames with hyphen clogs AS

Post by SelfMan »

Salamander does not support unicode (yet). Its being worked on, but it takes a lot of time. Search for unicode, to get more infomation.
tajmone

Post by tajmone »

I am aware that it doesn't support Unicode, but I thought it would only prevent display correctly characters.

Isn't there a temporary solution that could be implemented in the meantime, that would at least not prevent working with other files in the same folder of a Unicode-named file? If the handling problem could be confined only to the Unicode file it would still allow working with projects which have a few Unicode named files.
https://github.com/tajmone
SelfMan

Post by SelfMan »

I am afraid that there is no solution yet, untill the Altap guys do the new version.