Network not showing

Discussion of bugs and problems found in Altap Salamander. In your reports, please be as descriptive as possible, and report one incident per report. Do not post crash reports here, send us the generated bug report by email instead, please.
dcol

Network not showing

Post by dcol »

I am evaluating Salamander. I have use Commander for years and like that type of format for a file manager.

Problem is, all I get in the Network panel is 'Entire Network'. None of my network computers, shares, or resources show up. Windows Explorer shows all of them just fine as Discovery Method WSD. What method does Salamander use to get a list of network computers? I am using Windows 10 Pro v1709.

Thanks
therube

Re: Network not showing

Post by therube »

Are you running Salamander at a different privilege level, like "As Admin"?
Are you using mapped drive letters or UNC paths?

(SelfMan) said that mapped drive letters run under the user context.
So if you run Salamander "As Admin", then you are no longer "user".
WinXP Pro SP3 or Win7 x86 | SS 2.54
dcol

Post by dcol »

I figured it out. This is the same issue that plagues all Windows 10 Creators update users which is slowly getting rid of Netbios. If there is no Master Browser active on the network, then you will not see any networked computers. Salamander needs to move away from using the network neighborhood method and move to WSD if it wants to keep up with Microsoft.

If anyone else has this issue, simply start the Computer Browser service and set to Automatic which is disabled by default now. Microsoft states than the Computer Browser service will not be available at some future point in time at which point Salamander will no longer see network computers.
Last edited by dcol on 12 Apr 2018, 00:42, edited 1 time in total.
therube

Post by therube »

(Since I knew nothing of "WSD".
WSD Discovery Method
can not see netbios machines on network
[Now I know - a little.])
dcol

Post by dcol »

Yes the Function Discovery services will ultimately replace the Computer Browser service. PnP and SSDP will probably stick around since they haven't messed around with those yet.

So, if the Salamander devs are reading this, are we to expect to see some changes? I'll tell you one thing, they would increase sales because no other file manager that I know of has this ability other than Windows Explorer and some useless Store app called network file manager..
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Interesting, we will look into it. Thank you.
Omer

Post by Omer »

I use WIN10 1803 and tried to enable the Computer Browser service. Unfortunately it didn't help.
I tried to run Salamander both in User and Admin mode but it didn't change the results.
dcol

Post by dcol »

Yes, as we get new Windows 10 updates, the problem gets worse. Please hurry Altap!
therube

Post by therube »

(Nirsoft's) NetBScanner provides an easy (GUI) method of determining if you have 'Master Browser'.

https://s25.postimg.cc/68lnp43kf/Nirsof ... rowser.png

("postimg" seems to be awol, at the moment?)
Omer

Post by Omer »

I found out that my Winsock caused this all issue. I had to format my laptop and install Win 10 again.
Salamander came back to life!!!
All network paths work well and I have no issues.