WebDAV

We welcome any suggestions for new features or improvements in Altap Salamander. Please post one suggestion per report.
RBX32

WebDAV

Post by RBX32 »

simple question: When will Servant Salamander support WebDAV?

Greets

RBX32
lkindem

YES - pls add WEBDAV support!

Post by lkindem »

Agree... pls add WEBDAV support
bebe

Re: YES - pls add WEBDAV support!

Post by bebe »

+1 on this one
Buster

Post by Buster »

I'd like this too.
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

WebDAV plugin is frequently requested, perhaps we should move it to ALTAP Roadmap.

Why is WebDAV useful for you?

Post by Guest »

This is an old thread, but I'll chime in:

WebDAV makes it very easy to support mapping remote drives for delivering/sharing files. And there's SVN integration, as well ... so this is useful for everyone from programmers to designers.
KNUT

Post by KNUT »

Jan Rysavy wrote:Why is WebDAV useful for you?
Because, some Free-Mailer provide a WebDAV-device (www.gmx.net) :D
Kind regards, KNUT

WebDAV

Post by antoine »

WebDAV is very useful for me too. My company is implementing an artifact repository (to store the jars and ears that we build). This artifact repository is hosted by an IBM HTTP server with mod WebDAV installed. With the WebDAV plugin, I would be able to manipulate the repository without using cadaver, a command line client.
Buster

Post by Buster »

WebDav also is a good replacement for FTP if the webserver already works with authenticating users against a 3rd party database and ftp doesn't. :)
La

Post by La »

Hi,

in my context, almost everybody uses BSCW, a web collaboration solution.
The filestore is also accessible via WebDAV. This is much more convenient than downloading multiple files through a web frontend...

Regards
La
Ether

Post by Ether »

I'm not sure what WebDAV is in particular, but AFAIK it has to be activated on the server to work, right? Therefore I would appreciate a HTTP client, too. Browsing HTTP is a useful feature for downloading lots of files from a single directory on a server and so on... I use FlashGet for this (F7), but in AS it would be much comfortable. I think it could be integrated into the FTP plugin, just needs to integrate HTTP protocol and routine for extracting links from HTML files. I could even help with programming of this. :wink:
cincura.net

Post by cincura.net »

ether wrote:I'm not sure what WebDAV is in particular, but AFAIK it has to be activated on the server to work, right? Therefore I would appreciate a HTTP client, too. Browsing HTTP is a useful feature for downloading lots of files from a single directory on a server and so on... I use FlashGet for this (F7), but in AS it would be much comfortable. I think it could be integrated into the FTP plugin, just needs to integrate HTTP protocol and routine for extracting links from HTML files. I could even help with programming of this. :wink:
I have a big objections. FTP plugin should do FTP and *nothing* more. Adding HTTP protocol into FTP plugin will be - from my POV - big mistake and can bring a lot problems.

BTW in WinXP and higher is WebDAV implemented in system. So maybe can be added with browsing network ability, which is on roadmap, cause' maybe there will be some interface near this (just shooting).

And back to the HTTP protocol. If we take HTTP 0.9 and HTTP 1.0, these versions are pretty simple (the 1.1 too, but not so much) and if you're willing to contribute, you can take some friends/volunteers and create it as plugin. :D
Jiri {x2} Cincura
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

ether wrote:I could even help with programming of this. :wink:
Altap Salamander SDK is available, now it's your turn ;-)

The only thing we plan to add to FTP client is SSL support (FTP over SSL). So don't be worry the WebDAV plugin will be waste of time. Note: FTP plugin is strongly bound to FTP protocol.

For experienced developer it should be no problem to rewrite Demo Plugin (part of SDK) into simple WebDAV plugin.
KNUT

Post by KNUT »

Jan Rysavy wrote:For experienced developer it should be no problem to rewrite Demo Plugin (part of SDK) into simple WebDAV plugin.
Any experienienced developer out there to provide a WEBDAV-Plugin?
Kind regards, KNUT

Re:

Post by KNUT »

Jan Rysavy wrote:WebDAV plugin is frequently requested, perhaps we should move it to ALTAP Roadmap. Why is WebDAV useful for you?
For example WebDav is offered by MyDrive.ch and Cortado Workplace as a very nice (and free) service! Try it!
Kind regards, KNUT