Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data

Discussion of bugs and problems found in Altap Salamander. In your reports, please be as descriptive as possible, and report one incident per report. Do not post crash reports here, send us the generated bug report by email instead, please.
crystalidea

Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data

Post by crystalidea »

Tried to search in C:\Users\me\AppData\Local, after that AS went to
C:\Users\me\AppData\Local\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Packages

Is that normal? both 32 and 64-bit versions. Windows 8.1.
therube

Re: Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data

Post by therube »

> \AppData\

> \Application Data\

So you're searching \AppData\ but what's being returned is \Application Data\ (of some sort)?

In Everything (1.4 beta), a search for:

> E:\Users\RUBEN\AppData\Local application

Does see the link (junction), E:\Users\RUBEN\AppData\Local\Application Data, but that's the extent of it.
Otherwise, all directories, files are shown as \AppData\...

(Win7 x64, 32-bit Everything. Also exists 64-bit Everything, but I see no reason for it [for me].)

Likewise Salamander x64, only shows E:\Users\RUBEN\AppData\Local\Application Data, with all other directories, files showing as \AppData\...

(Win7 x64, 64-bit Salamander.)

Oh, & Salamander says, Access is denied for:
> Local\Application Data
> Local\History
> Local\Temporary Internet Files

Salamander 2.54 shows the same, again (& I wasn't really expecting that)?
WinXP Pro SP3 or Win7 x86 | SS 2.54
crystalidea

Re: Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data

Post by crystalidea »

Screenshot:
Attachments
sshot-2016-06-14-[21-12-02].png
sshot-2016-06-14-[21-12-02].png (122.41 KiB) Viewed 12275 times
SvA

Post by SvA »

So, is there anything wrong with the result returned? Do those files exist or do they not.

If those files exist, someone or something probably made a mistake. It is likely those are not supposed to be there. But Salamander truthfully reported what is there.

If those file are not really there, please check your file system and try again.

Since there is a finite number of "Application Data" directories, the likelihood of them being real is high.
therube

Post by therube »

And I'm confused now...
Tried to search
That's with "Find", Alt+F7 ?
after that AS went to
What do you mean "went to"?
Screenshot
That's a screenshot of what, Windows Explorer or...?
And you got to that by ? opening the directory (to Windows Explorer) from within the Find dialog?

What version of Salamander?

---

Separately, the "guid" (like, _wgeqdkkx372wm) on the directory names, is that a Win8 kind of thing?
crystalidea

Post by crystalidea »

Latest version of AS. Windows 8.1

1. Goto C:\Users\USER_NAME\AppData\Local
2. Press Ctrl+F, type "onenote"
3. Enjoy
Attachments
sshot-2016-06-16-[12-16-12].png
sshot-2016-06-16-[12-16-12].png (70.85 KiB) Viewed 12127 times
therube

Post by therube »

Right, that part I understand.

Back to the "guid" strings.
Are they part & parcel of Win8, something to be expected?
(I don't see anything like that on Win7 or earlier.)

Then, are the directories, files, physically there, as named, in those locations.
I'm betting that they are?
That Salamander is not "misrepresenting" anything, but is in fact showing what is actually there.

And if that's the case, it would seem none of that should be there - at least not named like that, so that brings up the question of how & why they got there like that.

That is an odd one.

How about Salamander itself, C:\Users\me\AppData\Local\Altap.
Does that exist, just like that, without all the "\Application Data\Application Data\..." hogwash?
crystalidea

Post by crystalidea »

Then, are the directories, files, physically there, as named, in those locations.
I'm betting that they are?
They are NOT.

As you can see, there's no "Application Data" folder in C:\Users\me\AppData\Local
Only symbolic link. If you press on this symbolic link, you remain in the same folder. As much times as you want.
Attachments
sshot-2016-06-17-[08-38-58].png
sshot-2016-06-17-[08-38-58].png (106.59 KiB) Viewed 11971 times
sshot-2016-06-17-[08-40-08].png
sshot-2016-06-17-[08-40-08].png (101.53 KiB) Viewed 11971 times
Ether

Post by Ether »

Back to your original question.
crystalidea wrote:Is that normal?.
Probably yes.

I always delete these legacy links, because they cause various problems like this. This is my script:

Code: Select all

for %%i in ("Application Data" "Cookies" "Local Settings" "My Documents" "NetHood" "PrintHood" "Recent" "SendTo" "Start Menu" "Templates" "AppData\Local\Application Data" "AppData\Local\History" "AppData\Local\Temporary Internet Files" "Documents\My Music" "Documents\My Pictures" "Documents\My Videos" "AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\Content.IE5" "AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\Low\Content.IE5" "AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files") do (
	rmdir %%i
)
Ελληνικά rulez.