Hide deleted files

Discussion of bugs and problems found in Altap Salamander. In your reports, please be as descriptive as possible, and report one incident per report. Do not post crash reports here, send us the generated bug report by email instead, please.
uf@nlp.ch

Hide deleted files

Post by uf@nlp.ch »

Is there a way to not show (= hide) deleted files in the listed directory?

I mean all the files that are being displayed with a ~ sign in front. Would be helpful to be able to choose whether I would like to see the deleted files or not. My employees are a bit disturbed by all the deleted files still being displayed. So I would like to hide them from their screens.

Thanks
Ueli
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Re: Hide deleted files

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Hi Ueli, Why do you think files beginning with '~' are deleted? I don't think so.

Are we talking about Altap Salamander Undelete plugin here? Please let us know more details.
SvA

Post by SvA »

These are probably hidden rather than deleted files, i.e. they have the hidden file attribute set. These files usually are temporary files. E.g MS Office creates one like this alongside the original document whenever you open a document.

You can hide/unhide them using the shortcut Ctrl+H. You can configure the default setting in Panel configuration.
SelfMan

Post by SelfMan »

These files can be safely deleted. If they are not used at the moment, they are just remnants of crashed office applications.
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

SelfMan wrote:These files can be safely deleted.
In case these files are not backups of their accounting software ;-)
SelfMan

Post by SelfMan »

I havent seen other application using "~$<original filename>.xlsx or docx or pptx format.
But sure... backup first, delete after.
uf@nlp.ch

Post by uf@nlp.ch »

Great, thank you so much!

Since I am working with German version the configuration setting is at:
Optionen / Konfiguration / Dateifenster / Dateien/Verzeichnisse mit Versteckt- oder System-Attribut ausblenden (Strg. + H)

Long time ago I understood that MS-DOS adds a ~ in front of a file instead of deleting. That's why the file can still be retrieved as long as it is not overwritten by new files. But maybe this (my understanding) is outfashioned long since. :roll:

Thanks a lot for solving my question.