Mapped Network Drive not shown

Discussion of bugs and problems found in Altap Salamander. In your reports, please be as descriptive as possible, and report one incident per report. Do not post crash reports here, send us the generated bug report by email instead, please.
trustinme

Mapped Network Drive not shown

Post by trustinme »

I have windows 8.1 Bing, Salamader 3.06 32bit. Mapped a NAS Network Drive as E: but the drive will not be shown on the Drive bar oder drop down menu.
SelfMan

Re: Mapped Network Drive not shown

Post by SelfMan »

The reason is that the drive mapping is user context based and you are running Salamander as administrator. Try to run Salamander in non-administrator mode and the mapped drive will be there.
For the same reason when you run Salamander as administrator and map a drive using F11 hotkey, you will see the drive in Salamander but not in Explorer.
JazzySOB

Post by JazzySOB »

Same problem here.
My Synology isn't visible when I'm using AS as administrator.

With Total Commander I have no such problems and is my Synology always visible when using TC as administrator or non-administrator, so it is clearly a AS thing..

It is very annoying and I'm hoping they'll fix it.
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Could you access Synology mapped drive from command prompt (cmd.exe) started as Administrator? Switch to Synology network drive, for example "E:", list directories using "dir" command, etc?

What Windows version are you using?
JazzySOB

Post by JazzySOB »

Thanks for responding.

I'm using Windows 10.

I can't access my Synology from a command prompt with administrator and I found out that it seems a Windows restriction from Windows Vista onwards. It makes no sense why you can't access a mapped drive under administrator that have more rights than a standard user who can.
I'm also wonder why Total Commander shows the drive both as administrator and normal user while Salamander can't.

But I've found a solution to show a mapped network drive both with administrator and normal user within Salamander.
I've make the registry modification as shown on the site below and it works!

http://www.winability.com/how-to-make-e ... rk-drives/

Even @ command prompt started as administrator works now for my Synology and have access to every (sub)map.

I'd hope it helps other people too.
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Thank you for letting us know.
orhor

Post by orhor »

unfortunately still not solved
SvA

Post by SvA »

That's not something Altap Salamander is supposed to solve. That's a restriction by design of the windows operating system. If I remember correctly, there is a registry hack available to inherit mapped drives when run in elevated mode (same user).
You should not work "As Administrator" constantly. If you "really want to" you should rather switch off UAC entirely.
And you can always map the network drive even as Administrator, or just use it by way of it's UNC path.
SelfMan

Post by SelfMan »

Open Registry Editor by typing in regedit on the Start Menu and hitting Enter.
Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
Right click and select New and then DWORD value.
Enter EnabledLinkedConnections as the name.
Right click on the new EnabledLinkedConnections and select Modify.
Set the value to 1 and click OK.
Reboot your PC.

Mapped networks will also be available under UAC.