Confirm DELETE

Discussion of bugs and problems found in Altap Salamander. In your reports, please be as descriptive as possible, and report one incident per report. Do not post crash reports here, send us the generated bug report by email instead, please.
jcgriff2

Confirm DELETE

Post by jcgriff2 »

Hi -

I recently installed Altap Salamander 3.02 x64 and for some reason cannot figure out how to get a prompt for file deletion.

I had 2.5 + Beta 3 installed and was prompted YES/NO for file deletions - so I obviously had *whatever* settings properly configured at that time.

Under 3.02, I do have the box checked for "File or Directory Delete" (Under "Configuration"; "Confirmations"; "Confirm On").

I'm sure my problem is that I missed/overlooked something simple.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

John
J. C. Griffith
Microsoft MVP
Windows Expert - IT Pro
http://mvp.microsoft.com/en-us/mvp/John%20C.%20Griffith-4025562
Ether

Re: Confirm DELETE

Post by Ether »

Which method of deletion do you use, Salamander's, or Explorer's (Recycle Bin)? Does the same problem happen if you hold Shift while deleting?

Explorer has its own settings for confirmations (you can check them by right clicking Recycle Bin and displaying its Properties). Windows 8 (in contrast to previous versions) has recycling confirmations disabled by default.
Ελληνικά rulez.
jcgriff2

Post by jcgriff2 »

I'm using the F8 key in Salamander (or clicking on "F8* Delete")

I don't generally use Windows Explorer at all ever since finding Altap Salamander in 2008.

EDIT: I have the "Recycle Bin" configuration setting set to "Remove files and directories immediately when deleted"

Also, the "Confirmations" configuration setting box is checked for "Confirm On" - "File or directory delete"
J. C. Griffith
Microsoft MVP
Windows Expert - IT Pro
Ether

Post by Ether »

This is weird. I know you have set Salamander to not use Recycle Bin, but you could try the following? Maybe it'll reveal something.

1] Is "Display delete confirmation dialog" checked in your Recycle Bin settings? If not, does checking it help with your problem?
2] Does the same problem happen if you hold Shift while deleting?
Ελληνικά rulez.
jcgriff2

Post by jcgriff2 »

Hi -

Just wanted to post back that this is now SOLVED. I am running v3.04 x64 and al is well.

I think what happened originally is that I was "fooling around" with the config settings and likely checked or un-checked a box related.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

jcgriff2
J. C. Griffith
Microsoft MVP
Windows Expert - IT Pro
NEDDY39

Post by NEDDY39 »

The original post is old but I hope somebody continues to read the messages
When I delete a file I used to get a prompt confirming the request for delete, I now no longer receive this prompt.
I am now almost 79 and a bit shakey on the mouse, sometimes I get 2 clicks and delete the next file. Where can I setup prompt for delete?
I have looked in configuration and confirmations but cannot find what to do.

Thanking all in advance
SelfMan

Post by SelfMan »

Options > Configuration > Confirmations : [x] File or directory delete
Note the note - it is ignoded when Recycle bin is used for all items.
NEDDY39

Post by NEDDY39 »

Thank you. seems to be working. However
The recycle bin option is a little confusing (to me)
I have selected the second option it was the top one.
Altap Salamander Setting.PNG
Altap Salamander Setting.PNG (30.28 KiB) Viewed 9110 times
Which is considered best?
SelfMan

Post by SelfMan »

There is nothing confusing about the 3 options.
It just manages what happens when you delete a file.
a) it is moved to the recycle bin where you can restore it if needed
b) the file is deleted immediately
c) files with file extension specified in the list are moved to the recycle bin otherwise deleted.

I am using the first option as it can happen that you delete something you did not actually want to delete and you can kiss that file bye bye if you delete it on a SSD drive. With the firts option you can still recover the file if needed. If I want to delete something immediately, I can still use the shift+del combination which does exactly that.
Use the "Empty recycle bin" option from the right mouse button context menu on the recycle bin to clean it up. Or just Shift+Del the "$RECYCLE.BIN" folder.

Is that explanation enough?