Highlight new folder

We welcome any suggestions for new features or improvements in Altap Salamander. Please post one suggestion per report.
johnd126

Highlight new folder

Post by johnd126 »

It would be very nice if SS would highlight the name of a new folder when created using rightclick -> New -> Folder so that the name could be updated immediately.

(Sorry if this has already been posted.)
omega

Post by omega »

The fastest and the best way is F7
johnd126

Post by johnd126 »

It's really not the fastest way if you have to think about it. ;) Plus it puts up a dialog box to enter the name which I find counter intuitive. Not to mention there is extra clicks involved.
omega

Post by omega »

extra clicks? i think you have to count the actions needed using your method and you would come to the conclusion F7 is the fastest way.
johnd126

Post by johnd126 »

omega wrote:extra clicks? i think you have to count the actions needed using your method and you would come to the conclusion F7 is the fastest way.
I'll experiment with it more but it's a 'different' way of doing things that requires remembering the steps. Rightclicking and creating a directory works in a lot of other places.

thx
KNUT

Post by KNUT »

johnd126 wrote:it puts up a dialog box to enter the name which I find counter intuitive. Not to mention there is extra clicks involved.
Hey - I really don't understand what's your problem? :?
SS is a file manager for _more people_ and it's not for your own satifaction... :oops:
Kind regards, KNUT

Post by johnd126 »

KNUT wrote:
johnd126 wrote:it puts up a dialog box to enter the name which I find counter intuitive. Not to mention there is extra clicks involved.
Hey - I really don't understand what's your problem? :?
SS is a file manager for _more people_ and it's not for your own satifaction... :oops:
It just doesn't work in the same way that other programs work which makes it more difficult for 'more people' to use easily. More people who can use it easily the more people will use it. And more people using is better for everyone! :D
eblis

Post by eblis »

It seems that you haven't used that many file managers, most of them (if not all) use F7 to create new folders, it goes back to NC, MC and DN :)
I also think that F7 is the fastest way, you don't have to touch the mouse at all, just press F7, write the name and press <enter>.
johnd126

Post by johnd126 »

eblis wrote:It seems that you haven't used that many file managers, most of them (if not all) use F7 to create new folders, it goes back to NC, MC and DN :)
I also think that F7 is the fastest way, you don't have to touch the mouse at all, just press F7, write the name and press <enter>.
It's true ... I have no history with other file managers except, well, File Manager in Windows 3.1! Windows Explorer doesn't count.

F7 is fine if you've got your fingers on the keyboard already but most of the time when this comes up it's when I'm already mousing around doing other things.
eblis

Post by eblis »

But you have to put your hands on the keyboard to write the name of the new folder, right ? ;) (so why not have them on the keyboard in the first place ?)
johnd126

Post by johnd126 »

eblis wrote:But you have to put your hands on the keyboard to write the name of the new folder, right ? ;) (so why not have them on the keyboard in the first place ?)
For those of us who have not come up the NC, MC, DN alphabet soup stream of file managers it's more intuitive to right click to do some of these operations. Why include a feature that's only half implemented? Wouldn't it be nice to have the feature behave as expected? Then we have both methods and everyone will be happy. ;)
jis

Post by jis »

johnd126 wrote:Wouldn't it be nice to have the feature behave as expected? Then we have both methods and everyone will be happy. ;)
Try to start voting about it and you will see how many people will support your request.
Altap Salamander fan since 1998
SvA

Post by SvA »

Let me ask the other way round: Is there any reason Salamander should not focus the newly created folder and activate quick rename just as Explorer does?

BTW I don't really care, but I don't either have any objections. I love to use the keyboard and create folders by pressing F7. Moreover I switched to full row select, which makes it hard to find some background space to access the context menu to select New from. Adding the requested feature seems to not break anything.
JohnFredC

Post by JohnFredC »

In matters concerning human-computer interaction (and exclusive of a controlled experimental environment), to say one behavior is faster than another is just to say one behavior is faster than another for you.

Mouse and keyboard are not "either/or". I personally use my left hand on the keyboard and my right hand on the mouse at least 50% of the time, maybe more.

So, for me, a user interface is best designed that supports the fastest methods (for whatever activity) for both keyboard and mouse control/input modes.

Also, my next laptop will be a tablet PC. I will be using a pen for everything. Keyboard shortcuts become irrelevant in that senario.
Mouse-centric, Registered
Tomcat

Post by Tomcat »

I agree with SvA and johnd126. It is more intuitive for people that use (for whatever reason) the context menu (btw, I do not). This would be another tiny step to help people convert from WinEx. I cannot imagine a downside of it so I vote for it in the name of all the nameless future Sala users. :wink: