End of support for Windows 2000, XP, Vista

This is a place for users to discuss Altap Salamander. Please feel free to ask, answer questions, and express your opinion. Please do not post problems, bug reports or feature requests here.
jsm

Re: End of support for Windows 2000, XP, Vista

Post by jsm »

I'm for dropping support of mentioned operation systems.
mdruiter

Post by mdruiter »

how do you manage the security without any patches
Citrix indeed and behind a very strict corporate firewall. Not voluntarily but still.
tukanos

Post by tukanos »

Yuriy wrote:Windows XP is very stable! I use it in my office (where computers would not run anything newer anyway), and it is the 2nd OS on my home PC - I have less problems with it than will all updates on Windows 7. And yes - please keep it supported :)
Well it is stable but it has reached EOL (you are exposed to any malware & you won't get any fix). In the end, Win 98SE was also really stable but nobody wants software today to support it. You always reach a point where you have to drop the support for older systems as you go along because the development would be slower, harder and more expensive.

In the end you too will have to drop the winXP eventually too, hardware will fail and new hardware will not have drivers for winXP (second option is to go virtual but for that you would have the older version).

I think keeping an 3.0x version that would be compatible for the older systems is totally reasonable and for the new features you would have to update your configuration.
mdruiter wrote:
how do you manage the security without any patches
Citrix indeed and behind a very strict corporate firewall. Not voluntarily but still.
For that reason I think Altap should keep an older compatible version available for download. In the end those citrix system will get replaced too, slowly for sure but they will.
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Old versions are available on Download page http://www.altap.cz/salamander/downloads/ (Previous Versions link).
tukanos

Post by tukanos »

Jan Rysavy wrote:Old versions are available on Download page http://www.altap.cz/salamander/downloads/ (Previous Versions link).
Ah, missed that. I'm always using the latest ;).

If you use the older version of Windows you could eventually end up like Orly French airport still using Windows 3.1:
https://news.vice.com/article/windows-3 ... ch-airport
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

:D

We should move on, Windows 7 looks like a good target for next AS version. We will be able to switch from Visual Studio 2008 to 2013 (or 2015 if they fix the Universal CRT mess).
mdruiter

Post by mdruiter »

Visual Studio 2013 can target Windows XP just fine:
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj851139.aspx
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

We know, but it doesn't support W2K. It also doesn't support XP without service packs installed, you will get missing DLL export message while trying to start VS2013/2015 _xp compatible application. So we are not able to use it now for AS 3.07.
mdruiter

Post by mdruiter »

At least for me, XP SP3 and Server 2003 are the minimal versions worth staying compatible for.
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

It doesn't make sense to build Salamander for unsupported Windows. I takes time to ensure Salamander works there, development and testing is more complicated due to backward compatible code paths. Doesn't sound like a good idea for such resource limited company as we are.
SelfMan

Post by SelfMan »

The only feature these old system would benefit from is the unicode support. All other stuff is irrelevant. The current Salamander version will be able to run on these old systems. The future versions should focus on new OS's only. I suggest a change in numbering so it is clear that a line was drawn.
Salamander 4.0 > Windows 7 and up.
In case of 3.x bugs, these could be fixed in the old branch for a while, but thats just it - bug fixes - no new features.
Yuriy

Post by Yuriy »

SelfMan wrote: Salamander 4.0 > Windows 7 and up.
Please no! As that could mean only that we will have to pay again for the upgrade :)
rollhigh

Post by rollhigh »

All of those OSes are out of mainstream support anyway.

Just keep a legacy version (the current one?) available for download and drop all the cruft/ancient code.

A nice streamlined/optimized version for Win10/2012 R2 platform would be ideal.

Microsoft is pushing 10 heavily to pretty much everyone on 7 and above anyway!
mdruiter

Post by mdruiter »

For consumers, yes. Enterprises will use Windows 7 for years and years...
Andre.Ziegler

Post by Andre.Ziegler »

yes, drop 2000 & XP compatibility. They are crappy & unstable. You can now use newer API functions /VisualStudio versions without Version checks.
"Theory is when you know something, but it doesn't work. Practice is when something works, but you don't know why. Programmers combine theory and practice: Nothing works and they don't know why."