1450 Insufficient system resources

Discussion of bugs and problems found in Altap Salamander. In your reports, please be as descriptive as possible, and report one incident per report. Do not post crash reports here, send us the generated bug report by email instead, please.
ChrisGorringe

1450 Insufficient system resources

Post by ChrisGorringe »

I have recently started getting an error "(1450) Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service" when I attempt to browse for network shares. This problem exists for all servers but I do not get the error if I put the full \\server\sharename in.
Browsing for network shares in Windows Explorer appears to work fine.
The only thing that has happened recently is that I installed the SQL 2014 SSMS management tools and I repaired my VS2013 installation but neither of these I would have thought, would be affecting this.

Do you have any suggestions as to how to diagnose this problem?
Thanks
Chris
SelfMan

Re: 1450 Insufficient system resources

Post by SelfMan »

If any new shell extensions are used, try to disable them temporarilly by using NirSoft's ShellExView
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

ChrisGorringe

Post by ChrisGorringe »

I have tried a number of things. I have tried disabling all the shell extensions that have been installed in the last month or so with no luck.
I have tried uninstalling all of the SQL 2014 and VS 2013 components and shells with no luck.
I have reinstalled SQL 2014 SSMS and VS 2015 and still no luck.
What puzzles me is that it is only Salamander that is having the problem in that I can browse the network shares anyway I like within Windows Explorer and I can honestly say that I am not having any problems in any other apps.
The event log shows very few errors and the ones that are present relate to Windows InTune which are explainable and have been present for at least the last six months prior to this problem arising.

I do understand that the problem is something that has changed on my machine but understanding what is causing the problem is difficult if the only error is in Salamander and there are no other errors etc.

As an experiment, I installed Salamander onto another machine and tested that the problem did not relate to the network shares - it isn't - it worked fine so it is local to my machine.

Jan, is there any means of generating a diagnostic trace so that I can see what is actually failing?
SelfMan

Post by SelfMan »

There are few other things to do.
Try to create a new user profile and test if the problem reappears.
Do a backup and try the following settings:
Modify the memory management settings in
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management
DWORD PoolUsageMaximum enter decimal 60
you can try to increase the value by 20
If it does not help add or edit DWORD PagedPoolSize hex FFFFFFF

Do all the changes on you own risc.
Please check the drive containing pagefile.sys for sufficient space.
ChrisGorringe

Post by ChrisGorringe »

Thanks for your suggestions SelfMan.
I had previously tried setting the PoolUsageMaximum and the PagedPoolSize before but just in case, I tried it again with a reboot and before anything loading any other apps (within reason) I tested Salamander and it still didn't work.
The machine as 32Gb of Ram and I have a separate partition for the swap file (X:) which has a fixed size 32Gb page file.
TaskManager is reporting that the Paged pool is 490Mb and the Non-paged pool is 326Mb.
Is puzzles me that if it really was a memory issue, I would be having problems with other apps and performance would be noticeably bad but I am not having problems anywhere else.
I think that it is also important to know that the Network in Windows Explorer can find and enumerate all the network computers without an issue but Salamander can only see the local machine with or without the 1450 error.
What else can I try to get to the issue?
SelfMan

Post by SelfMan »

Can you - just for the test - move the page file to the system drive and set it to automatic size?
BTW is there any free space on the X:\ drive or is it full?
ChrisGorringe

Post by ChrisGorringe »

As my C: only has 15Gb free and my D: has 420Gb free, I did as you suggested but use D: as the location of the page file. I set it to be system managed rather than a fixed size. Rebooted and tested it but no difference. BTW, the pagefile.sys was allocated about 8Gb.
My X: drive is used solely for the pagefile so I set the pagefile with a minimum and maximum size of X: drive so that it does not get extended and shrunk by the system on demand. The benefit of this is that the pagefile does not end up as a collection of file fragements and by putting it on its own partition, it does not get in the way of anything else on the system and data partitions (C: and D:). I have been doing this for years and is what Unix used to do to make life simple. I used to ensure that the "Swap" partition was always the first partition on the drive as it was the fastest location on the drive but with modern raid arrays, this doesn't really matter.
Do you have any other suggestions?
I am wondering if the problem is not a resource problem at all but something that is happening because of a different problem. In the code, can a 1450 error be thrown for any other reason other than lack of resources when enumerating network shares?
SelfMan

Post by SelfMan »

Earlier I suggested that you create a new user profile and do the test with it. Did you try it?
ChrisGorringe

Post by ChrisGorringe »

Sorry, I had forgotten to try a new profile.
So, I created a new local machine user and added them to the local Administrators group. I then switched user and logged in as this new user and then load Salamander. It obviously began by setting up the new Salamander settings. :)
It still failed with the 1450 error so it isn't a profile issue but here is a bit more information that may help.
If I clicked through the network option on the drive menu, it finds my local machine along the "Entire Network" option. If I click on the Entire Network, it goes away and thinks about things and then comes back with the domain. If I then click on that, it thinks a bit more and comes back with only my local machine. Not correct but not an error as such. If I click on the net:\ element in the path and bring up the Change Directory box and enter the server name directly "\\Jupiter" without the share name, it will error with a 1450 error. This occurs for all servers I try. If I put in the server name and the share name "\\Jupiter\Store", it goes directly there but if I then move up one level where I would normally see all the shares, if shows the share that I was in "Store" but then immediately errors with a 1450 error and fails to show the other 5 shares.
I am starting to think that it isn't a lack of resources or memory issue but something to do with the enumeration of the shares on a server. I don't mind if it cannot browse the machines on the network because I can go directly to the server I need but it is difficult if I cannot browse the share names.
I have also had a look at things with Wireshark. In Windows Explorer, if I put "\\Jupiter" in the address bar, Wireshark shows that the machine is using the SMB2 protocol get the tree information and everything is fine. In Salamander, If I do the same thing but using Change Directory, there is a single packet sent to the target server using TCP on port 445 which is Windows AD and for accessing shares. I wonder if this has something to do with it.
Thanks for your help in advance. :)
SelfMan

Post by SelfMan »

Ok, can you temporarilly disable the firewall on the local computerand re-test?
It might be a good thing to do the sfc /scannow on the machine just to be sure all system files are fine.
ChrisGorringe

Post by ChrisGorringe »

Unfortunately, I have tried both of these already without any luck. I am at a total loss.
therube

Post by therube »

When you first posted, my immediate thought was (these decade old threads):

Not enough server storage to process command - Revisit

Not enough server storage to process command?

And while not directly applicable, you may have to put the "insufficient system resources" error in a broader context, thinking about the seemingly "ordinary" that may end up being the cause of the problem?

And a couple older ones here too, Search: 1450 insufficient system resources.
WinXP Pro SP3 or Win7 x86 | SS 2.54
ChrisGorringe

Post by ChrisGorringe »

More information:
I have now found that my laptop also suffers from the same problem in exactly the same way so this suggests that it isn't a machine specific problem.
The only thing that has changed on the laptop is the September Microsoft Security updates so it is suggesting that one of these are the cause of the problem.
Would it be possible for the development team to just let me know the C++ calls that are being made to enumerate the network shares so that I can put together a little test program to try and work out which call is the culprit?
ChrisGorringe

Post by ChrisGorringe »

Update:
I now have a situation where it works most of the time but why?
Between my last update and now, we have had a complete network shutdown and restart due a power outage and there have been some minor Windows updates although I suspect that things may have improved since the network restart.
As my laptop was also experiencing the same problem and it was not in the domain or on the same network, this cannot be the sole cause.
I suspect that the restart of the network resulted in a re-election of the master browser which have something to do with it but at the same time, perhaps a Windows update also has had an effect.