Delete: Filenames with a space at the end

Discussion of bugs and problems found in Altap Salamander. In your reports, please be as descriptive as possible, and report one incident per report. Do not post crash reports here, send us the generated bug report by email instead, please.
Josip Tosic

Delete: Filenames with a space at the end

Post by Josip Tosic »

Hi,
Salamander doesn't handle files with a space at the end of extension properly. If I try to delete a bunch of these files it'll say system cannot find the file specified but I can delete 'em one by one.

Also, if I have two files, one without the space behind extension and one with that space, and I try to delete the file with that space, Salamander deletes the file without the space at the end of extension.
Josip Tosic - the Learned, Impartial and Very Relaxed
Mem

Post by Mem »

Similar topic (space at the beginning of filename) was discussed here (in Czech):
http://forum.altap.cz/viewtopic.php?t=834&highlight=

I quote there this information:

Code: Select all

The Win32 subsystem enforces additional constraints on legal file names. The name can be at most MAX_PATH characters long (defined in windef.h as 260 characters), may not have trailing dots or spaces, and file names are case preserving, not case sensitive — if two files exists with names that differ only in case, you will only be able to manipulate one of them through Win32 APIs.
And Altap guys responded they will support spaces in filename with some kind of warning message
Petr Solin
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Re: Delete: Filenames with a space at the end

Post by Petr Solin »

Josip Tosic wrote:Salamander doesn't handle files with a space at the end of extension properly. If I try to delete a bunch of these files it'll say system cannot find the file specified but I can delete 'em one by one.
I'm not able to create such files, please help us to reproduce this problem. Post here how to create such files step by step (include your Windows version + type of filesystem).
Josip Tosic wrote:Also, if I have two files, one without the space behind extension and one with that space, and I try to delete the file with that space, Salamander deletes the file without the space at the end of extension.
I'm afraid it could be Windows problem, spaces at the end of filename are not supported (as long as I know). I'll try it together with previous issue.
Josip Tosic

Post by Josip Tosic »

Sorry, Petr, I completely forgot 'bout this post.

So... ReGet Deluxe creates these files. What happens, you download a file that has %20 at the end of a URL and ReGet creates a 0-byte file with that space at the end of a filename, and another, with all the data and without that space at the end of a filename.

So nat'rally, I went and deleted the 0-byte one... :o
Josip Tosic - the Learned, Impartial and Very Relaxed
Petr Solin
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Petr Solin »

I have tested this on Samba drive (Linux have no problem with space at the end of filename). Explorer behaves the same way as Salamander (and also TC). Windows are not ready for such names and are really ill from that, so I think it has no sence to solve such problem in Salamander.

Try to report bug in ReGet Deluxe -- it creates forbidden filenames (or even better: it's MS bug that they allow this app to create such names, so report it to MS).