Copy/move: Strange *.* behavior

Discussion of bugs and problems found in Altap Salamander. In your reports, please be as descriptive as possible, and report one incident per report. Do not post crash reports here, send us the generated bug report by email instead, please.
Josip Tosic

Copy/move: Strange *.* behavior

Post by Josip Tosic »

Hi,
I've found a strange behavior...

When I copy/move files to another location, if I modify the "*.*" to something like "A*.*" I loose the first character of the filename in the process, instead of Salamander appending a character to the original name.
Josip Tosic - the Learned, Impartial and Very Relaxed
Mem

Post by Mem »

I confirm this behaviour and I also think it should behave the other way (append whole original filename). If I want to replace part of the filename, I can use mask like "A??????.*"
Petr Solin
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Petr Solin »

Yes, I understand. But this is standard behaviour (not only in our file manager), we don't want to break this standard.

Please use Renamer plugin for much more comfortable renaming, see Plugins/Renamer/Batch Rename...
Mem

Post by Mem »

But what about the incosistence when using asterisk at the beginning vs. at the end?

A.JPG -> move B*.* -> B.JPG
A.JPG -> move *B.* -> AB.JPG

:?:

And where else can this standard be found?
Petr Solin
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Petr Solin »

Mem wrote:But what about the incosistence when using asterisk at the beginning vs. at the end?

A.JPG -> move B*.* -> B.JPG
A.JPG -> move *B.* -> AB.JPG
I don't understand what you mean, read this part of help (version 2.0):

Operation masks can contain special characters - asterisk (*) for the rest of the name or the extension and question mark (?) for a single character. So the operation mask 'new_*.???' will generate names which begin with 'new_' followed with the rest of the original name (from the fifth character to the end), and end with (.) followed with three characters from the original extension.

Operation masks are usually used for simpler operations like changing extensions in the group of files (you can use '*.html' for renaming .htm files to .html files, etc.).
Mem wrote:And where else can this standard be found?
Windows "copy" command, Total Commander, Norton Commander, FAR, etc. In fact, I don't know any file manager which handles it the way Josip and you suggest here.
Mem

Post by Mem »

Thanks for the detailed explanation, now I understand * stands for the rest (from left) of the name and not for the whole original name. I confirm that copy command behaves the way you described it so now I have absolutely no objection. Thanks for your time 8)