SS crashes on copy/move from remote folder to local one

Discussion of bugs and problems found in Altap Salamander. In your reports, please be as descriptive as possible, and report one incident per report. Do not post crash reports here, send us the generated bug report by email instead, please.
Georg

SS crashes on copy/move from remote folder to local one

Post by Georg »

I experienced a bug which is not always repruducable but occurs app. 1 out of 20 times. When wanting to copy/move a file from remote folder (windows share) to a local folder containing a file of the same name like the one desired to copy/move, SS crashes. No bug report screen, no nothing. Simply died quietly. Win XP pro SP2 tablet pc edition.
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Is it the same notebook as http://forum.altap.cz/viewtopic.php?t=475 ?
It looks like you have some hardware or software problem with your computer. It will be probably not related to Servant Salamander.
Georg

Post by Georg »

nope, mine is a fujitsu T-3010D.
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

I'm sorry, my fault.

When you start Servant Salamander next time, no bug report is found? (There should be a message about crash.)

Are you using the Terminal Services? (Our users reporting problems with TS.)

Post by Guest »

No problem :) No, no bug report is found, and concerning TS: No, never used remote desktop services. Is any kind of sys info of help?
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Georg, are you using the latest version 2.5b11?
Do you think the problem is related to the confirmation window? (Confirm File Overwrite, Yes/All/Skip/...)
Could you try to turn off the Options > Configurations > Confirmations > File overwrite option and reproduce this problem?

Note: don't forget to set this confirmation back...

Another question: do you run SS from local disk or from network?

Post by Guest »

Jan Rysavy wrote:Georg, are you using the latest version 2.5b11?
Do you think the problem is related to the confirmation window? (Confirm File Overwrite, Yes/All/Skip/...)

Another question: do you run SS from local disk or from network?
Yes, I'm using b11 and I'm starting it from local disk. As the SS crashes sometimes afer and sometimes before the confirmation IMHO the confirmation isn't the problem. In case
Jan Rysavy wrote:Could you try to turn off the Options > Configurations > Confirmations > File overwrite option and reproduce this problem?Note: don't forget to set this confirmation back...
still may help to encircle the problem, I'll try it - just tell me whether I shall try some time with changed config.
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Anonymous wrote:just tell me whether I shall try some time with changed config
It could be dangerous turn off this option for normal use... I hoped you are able to repeat the overwrite operation until SS crashes.
Georg

Post by Georg »

Hi, me again :) I tried with enabled & disabled overwrite confirmation, always using the same folders & files. Enabled => SS crashes after x operations (max 45sek testing needed). Disabled => unable to crash SS during some minutes of testing. Now the surprising part: Enabling again and SS does not crash for minutes... As I told: I observe this bug repeatedly but I'm unable to isolate circumstances/prerequistes. BTW today I connected via Ethernet instead of WLAN, so it has nothing to do with the underlying hardware driver (illegal API implementation or the like).

Happens on local drives,too

Post by Guest »

Maybe this is an important clue: Yesterday evening, the same thing happend when I compared my HDD to my external backup HDD and tried to copy local files over those on the external HDD. Chrash, no report on SS restart. I'll keep on watching. So long, Georg