Exit external Viewers with [ESC]

We welcome any suggestions for new features or improvements in Altap Salamander. Please post one suggestion per report.
Mike12345
Plugin Developer
Plugin Developer

Exit external Viewers with [ESC]

Post by Mike12345 »

I do not know if it's possible but it seems so (a competitor has this function).

I often use external Viewers (for PDF in example 'cause they are faster, more features etc.) but i like to close them with MY Shortcut eg. with the [ESC]-Key instead of ALT+F4 (cause it's much faster).
This is not always possible 'cause there are much Applications where you can't define Keyboard-Shotcut's.

Could you please implement such a Feature.
--> Close External Viewer by a defined ([ESC]) Key ?

:?:
SvA

Post by SvA »

I don't think it is a good idea to have an application such as a file manager modify the behaviour of foreign programs. Salamander could do such a thing, if it uses an inplace viewer (e.g. an ActivX-control within a viewer window which belongs to Salamander (as for instance the Internet Explorer Viewer).

Try to reach your goal by using a good hotkey program such as AutoHotkey.

Hint:
You can configure Internet Explorer Viewer to display any file type IE is able to display, including PDF and Microsoft Office files. ESC-Key will work unless the ActiveX control consumes that key (which it unfortunately does for the two clases of files mentioned above using Acrobat Reader 7 and Microsoft Office 2003)
KNUT

Re: Exit external Viewers with [ESC]

Post by KNUT »

Mike12345 wrote:Exit external Viewers with [ESC]. I do not know if it's possible [...]
I don't think this is possible, because SS have to control a foreign application... :?
Mike12345 wrote:but it seems so (a competitor has this function).
Which competitor? :?:
Kind regards, KNUT
Plugin Developer

Post by Mike12345 »

Which competitor?
If i remember correctly it is Speed Commander.
AbteriX

Post by AbteriX »

SvA wrote: [...]
Hint:
You can configure Internet Explorer Viewer to display any file type IE is able to display,[...]
Please, what do you mean with "configure Internet Explorer Viewer" ?
What can i configure and how can i do that ? :shock:
AbteriX
zarevak
Plugin Developer
Plugin Developer

Post by zarevak »

In SS Configuation (Menu: Options / Configuration...) go to Viewers & Editors / Viewers part and there you see list of file extensions and each line is configured to use certain Viewer.

You can change this list to view [using F3] file in another Viewer.
SvA tried to explain, that it is possible to configure PDF, DOC, XLS,... files to be opened in IE Viewer, which is normaly configured to only view HTML files.
Benefit is, that you use official Adobe Acrobat or MS Office ActiveX control, so it display the file correctly, but the IE viewer needs to load this ActiveX (slow and memory consuming) and you need Acrobat Reader/Office installed.

I personally added the *.SWF (Flash) extension to open in Internet Explorer viewer :)
SvA

Post by SvA »

AbteriX wrote:
SvA wrote: [...]
Hint:
You can configure Internet Explorer Viewer to display any file type IE is able to display,[...]
Please, what do you mean with "configure Internet Explorer Viewer" ?
What can i configure and how can i do that ? :shock:
Sorry for so inadequately describing what I intended to say. zarevak got it just right.

But in addition you also shoud configure IE (or the applications responsible for rendering the files) to display the documents inplace. Unfortunately, settings for this are scattered througout the system.
AbteriX

Post by AbteriX »

> configure PDF, DOC, XLS,... files to be opened in IE Viewer

Aha, that was the point i missed. Interessting :D

Thank you gentlemen.
AbteriX