Full Windows Explorer Replacement?

This is a place for users to discuss Altap Salamander. Please feel free to ask, answer questions, and express your opinion. Please do not post problems, bug reports or feature requests here.
crou

Full Windows Explorer Replacement?

Post by crou »

Hi folks,

I'm using Directory Opus on one of my computer and with that product, we can fully replace the Windows Explorer: WIN+E open Opus, double click My Computer, or any folder opening or file browsing also opens Opus. Windows Explorer is never used/opened.

Since I'm always using WIN+E, I'm wondering if is there a way /a hack/ we can apply somewhere in the registry or in the program to do the same thing with SS?

Thanks!
Werner

Re: Full Windows Explorer Replacement?

Post by Werner »

crou wrote: Since I'm always using WIN+E, I'm wondering if is there a way /a hack/ we can apply somewhere in the registry or in the program to do the same thing with SS?Thanks!
For any desired key shortcuts, I am using Autohotkey http://www.autohotkey.com/ (Freeware)

With that, it's very easy to start SS by pressing WIN+E (or any other combination). And it can do a lot more...

Of course, it's an additional program, but it's worth it.
Werner

Post by Guest »

crou wrote:Hi folks,

I'm using Directory Opus on one of my computer and with that product, we can fully replace the Windows Explorer: WIN+E open Opus, double click My Computer, or any folder opening or file browsing also opens Opus. Windows Explorer is never used/opened.

Since I'm always using WIN+E, I'm wondering if is there a way /a hack/ we can apply somewhere in the registry or in the program to do the same thing with SS?

Thanks!
Tomcat

Post by Tomcat »

I also would like to NEVER again see lame WinEx popping up. :wink:

I would like to see SS come up when:
  • Double clicking a folder on the desktop
    Pressing Win+E
    A program uses the API-call ShellExecute to open a folder
    whatever opens a folder
I think that a Registry hack is required for that.
crou, can you post or mail me (dummy at td-koester.de) a dump of REG:\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder from a PC with Opus installed? I then could compare with my current settings to check if there are differences. Let me know if you need assistance with the export.
Of course, any hints or ideas from XP HaCkRz out there are welcome.
SvA

Post by SvA »

Have you ever noticed that there are some areas where Servant Salamander cannot currently replace Explorer?

Salamander handles things on a file system level, dealing with directories.
Explorer on the other hand, deals with folders. Most of these are directories, some are linked to a directory (i.e. Desktop, Windows Fonts folder, Recicle Bin, Internet Cache. and some are purely 'virtual' such as Control Pannel, Printers and Faxes, WIA devices...).

I personally like it to be able to access the underlying directory structures. In the process of selecting a good filemanager I actually ruled out some for the very reason that they gave me folder views only without letting me access the underlying files and directories. I don't consider it a limitation to have to run explorer to get at the folder view (and it's magic cf. XP CD Burning) of some objects, although it sometimes was handy to access their magic from within Salamander (e.g. Recicle Bin or redirecting folders (of the sort that are automatically created within the network neighborhood)).