pre-select file name (without ext) in Quick Rename dialog

We welcome any suggestions for new features or improvements in Altap Salamander. Please post one suggestion per report.
AbteriX

Post by AbteriX »

Tomas Kopal wrote: SHIFT+HOME in step 4) will take care of the spaces, but the key is a bit farther away ;-).
:?: :roll:
We use
3.) CTRL+SHIFT+RIGHT
to select the name part only (start from pos1)
and
4.) SHIFT+LEFT
to de-select the dot (to have the name part only)

:roll: SHIFT+HOME
makes no sense here, 'cus the hole file name will be selected, not only the name part.

Or did i miss some trick?
AbteriX
Tomas Kopal
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Tomas Kopal »

AbteriX wrote: :roll: SHIFT+HOME
makes no sense here, 'cus the hole file name will be selected, not only the name part.

Or did i miss some trick?
Ooops, sorry, I didn't read it right, just ignore me :-).
AbteriX

Post by AbteriX »

Tomas Kopal wrote: just ignore me :-).
No,
you are welcome :D
AbteriX
KNUT

Post by KNUT »

Tomas Kopal wrote:[...] just ignore me
Done :twisted:
;-)
Kind regards, KNUT

Post by egbert »

ok ok, I withdraw my proposal :D
Klettermaxe

Post by Klettermaxe »

egbert wrote:ok ok, I withdraw my proposal
Absolutely not necessary. I like your idea because it would provide a really quick and easy way of renaming a file.
egbert

Post by egbert »

Klettermaxe wrote:
egbert wrote:ok ok, I withdraw my proposal
Absolutely not necessary. I like your idea because it would provide a really quick and easy way of renaming a file.
Right, let's try to convince those keyboard artists :wink:
Klettermaxe

Post by Klettermaxe »

After this thread came up I had an attentive look at my personal use of the 'Quick Rename' feature (F2).

To cut a long story short: I only change the extension for testing purposes, e. g. if I want to see, if an exe-file is a self-extracting zip-archive.

As Egbert pointet out, normally it's no big deal to mark only the name part of a filename. But it becomes a bit annoying when I decide to tidy up my harddisk-content from time to time. Then I have to rename a larger number of downloaded files with insignificant names (e.g. 45-607.pdf). These files are not related, so I cannot apply a certain pattern in batch rename. In this case it turns out to be very convenient to have only the name part preselected. In order to get this feature right now, I wrote a small script for Autoit3 (http://www.autoitscript.com/autoit3/). After being started the script waits for the 'Quick Rename' window to appear and then selects only the name part of the filename, i. e. it works with Salamander's F2-key and with the corresponding menu command as well.

Code: Select all

Opt("WinTitleMatchMode", 3) ;exact match required
While 1
  WinWaitActive ("Quick Rename")
  Send ("{END}")
  Send ("^+{LEFT}")
  Send ("{LEFT}")
  Send ("+{HOME}")
  WinWaitClose ("Quick Rename")
WEnd
You can continue working as usual while the script is running. To close it, just kill it from the systray (left click - exit).

In my opinion the best quick rename solution would be the one used by IrfanView where the extension is displayed seperately.

To avoid misunderstandings: Servant Salamander is by far the best file manager ever.