Check Version Failure

Discussion of bugs and problems found in Altap Salamander. In your reports, please be as descriptive as possible, and report one incident per report. Do not post crash reports here, send us the generated bug report by email instead, please.
WillM

Check Version Failure

Post by WillM »

I think this is some windows (WinXP-SP2) flag, but SS's behavior after is a problem.

On my primary computer, when I try to use Check Version, I ~immediately~ get an error of: Connecting Failed: The computer is disconneted from the network. SS then freezes and I must unload it with a right click on its icon in the task bar (I assume Task Manger would also work). Typically the taskbar, which I have on autohide, doesn't autohide no more.

SS itself works fine on my network and doing ftp. I have another program which fails an update check - but after a timeout and without the freezing problem. I have other programs which do their update check just fine.

I disconnected my secondary computer (W2K) from the network and did a check version. After a while (30-60 seconds) it timed out and gave me the same error. But without the freezing problem.

Any idea of what I need to change to solve the immediate failure problem?

And consider the behavior of SS after this failure to be a bug report.
WillM

Post by WillM »

Well, found a silly answer - Internet Explorer did something.

I normally use FireFox (make that always except for something like Windows Update). Anyway, I got the bright idea to start up IE to check its connection settings (since I know it likes to stick its nose everywhere) and got a message something along the line of: "page not unavailable off line, do you wish to connect?"

I connected and wonder of wonders, SS did its Check Version just fine.

That still leaves the question on why SS froze and I'll add a suggestion of checking the system setting for online/offline and possibily offering to connect like IE does.
Will