Impossible to have admin share as directory shortcut

Discussion of bugs and problems found in Altap Salamander. In your reports, please be as descriptive as possible, and report one incident per report. Do not post crash reports here, send us the generated bug report by email instead, please.
orhor

Impossible to have admin share as directory shortcut

Post by orhor »

when trying to add a directory shortcut with path containing $ (dollar) - \\machine\c$\inetpub\wwwroot - Salamander says that it expects $ sign or a variable name.

note:
the path was copied from salamander's panel location, so it should be ok, optically it looks ok, and when pasted in Explorer it works OK.

Salamander 3.05
SvA

Re: Impossible to have admin share as directory shortcut

Post by SvA »

Salamander uses the $ sign in several places to provide Values from different sources. In the dialog you mention, try the options you get when you click on the little button with the triangle on the left of the text box. Choose anything but browse to see, what I am talking about. And consult online help.

Now, to tell Salamander not to try to substitute any values, simply quote your dollar sign with a second one. Salamander then internally converts e.g. \\machine\c$$\inetpub\wwwroot to \\machine\c$\inetpub\wwwroot

To Altap: the wording of that message could be more clear e.g.
A '$'-sign must be followed by a supported name of a variable. In order to get a literal '$'-sign, please enter two consecutive dollar signs: '$$'.
A different, but equally unclear message pops up if the $-sign appears at the end of the entered string. In the online help, I could not find anything about how to quote the $-sign. I don't use the most recent version of AS, though.
Ether

Re: Impossible to have admin share as directory shortcut

Post by Ether »

Note that when you use Ctrl+Shift+<number> (this command adds the path in the current panel as a Hot Path under the chosen number), the path is correctly converted.
Ελληνικά rulez.