PictView - scanning error

Discussion of bugs and problems found in Altap Salamander. In your reports, please be as descriptive as possible, and report one incident per report. Do not post crash reports here, send us the generated bug report by email instead, please.
Yuriy

PictView - scanning error

Post by Yuriy »

I remember how I used to scan pictures with PictView before - but it does not work for me now.

With Altap Salamander 3.02 x64 - every time I select 'Scan image' or 'Choose scan source' it says something like 'Not possible to open TWAIN sources; if your scanner is TWAIN-compatible, please update its software'. At the same time, scanning from other programs (like photo editors) works fine!

Altap Salamander 3.02 x86 behaves differently but is still wrong. When pressing 'Choose scan source' it actually gives me a choice (between my scanner 'Xerox WorkCentre...' and 'WIA Xerox WorkCentre...') - but if I choose WIA and press 'W' to scan, it gives me 'Unknown error' and does nothing. And if I choose just scanner 'Xerox...' and press 'Scan' - Salamander crashes! I attach the crash report here.

I hope that error could be fixed for both x86 and x 64.

Upd. By the way - Salamander 2.54 scans fine with both choices - WIA and not WIA!
Attachments
C9FB78F6EDB937B-AS302X86-140625-070808.7Z
Crash report (PictView scanning, Salamander x86)
(927.29 KiB) Downloaded 429 times
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Re: PictView - scanning error

Post by Jan Rysavy »

We will look at this problem, thank you for reporting it.
SelfMan

Post by SelfMan »

Do you have the same problem by using the 32 bit version of salamander?
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

He is describing problem with x86 version too. Also attached bug report comes from x86 version.
SelfMan

Post by SelfMan »

Oops, sorry that I've overlooked.
Yuriy

Post by Yuriy »

Are there any news as for solving this problem? Thanks.
Yuriy

Post by Yuriy »

Too bad this bug is not fixed in 3.03...

But it behaves somewhat differently now. In Salamander x86, selecting 'scan source' as WIA-Xerox works fine - but selecting just the scanner [Xerox] still crashes the program (crash report is enclosed).

Anyway, in Salamander x64 I still can't do anything - pressing 'Scan Image' or 'Select Scanner Source' both give that error message "Unable to open TWAIN Source Manager. If your scanner is a TWAIN compliant scanner, please reinstall the software for that scanner."
Of course, my scanner is TWAIN-compatible, and it works well in other programs and in Salamander 2.54.

And I checked Salamander 3.0 (x86) - it worked fine (in difference from 3.02 and 3.03)! So it would not be too difficult to check the changes in those versions? And to fix scanning in x64 (which does not work in 3.0, 3.02 and 3.03).
Attachments
C9FB78F6EDB937B-AS303X86-140830-063117.7Z
Crash report
(815.87 KiB) Downloaded 391 times
Petr Solin
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Petr Solin »

Please test also version 3.01, is it working well or already contains this problem with scanning?

ftp://ftp.altap.cz/pub/altap/salamand/as301x86.exe
ftp://ftp.altap.cz/pub/altap/salamand/as301x64.exe

Thanks!
Yuriy

Post by Yuriy »

OK, I have checked all of those versions:

x86 - 3.0 and 3.01 (and 2.54) work fine with both scanner sources, and 3.02 and 3.03 work only with 'WIA-Xerox' while craching on 'Xerox'.
x64 - none of latest versions (from 3.0 to 3.03) work, the same error described above.

I don't know what has changed, but earlier 3.02 did not work with WIA for me giving that 'Unknown error' - see the first entry in this thread. However, scanning through the scanner's interface (not through WIA) is still preferable, and I am currently using x64 version anyway, so I hope it could be fixed...
Petr Solin
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Petr Solin »

OK, thanks! It seems to be problem with new options in build of PictView plugin, we will try to solve it.
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

We will need feedback from other users regarding this problem. I just did test with Canon LIDE 600F scanner and Altap Salamander 3.03 x64 works fine through WIA-CanoScan scanner source. Altap Salamander 3.03 x86 works fine for both WIA-CanoScan and native CanoScan driver.

Unfortunately I'm not able to test Xerox scanner.

Does anyone else have problem with Altap Salamander 3.03 (x86/x64) and image scanning?
Attachments
drivers.png
drivers.png (15.35 KiB) Viewed 16571 times
Yuriy

Post by Yuriy »

That's bad to hear - less hope for my issue to be finally resolved :(

But I am unsure it depends on the scanner model - as in x64 it just does not give any option, just tells it can't open TWAIN.

I have Xerox WorkCentre 3119 - but it is actually the same model as Samsung SCX-4200 (just renamed). Anybody can check it on Samsung MFPs?
And, as I have noted above, in x86 versions the bug appeared in 3.02 - so does it have any differences in handling TWAIN from 3.01?
Or maybe I need to install some more drivers? That's unprobable as that scanner works fine with other programs for me.
Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (24.95 KiB) Viewed 16568 times
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Yuriy, Please contact me on my email jan.rysavy@altap.cz - I will send You testing PictView version for AS 3.03 with some build flags removed (as Petr mentioned).
Yuriy

Post by Yuriy »

Well, it seems that Jan has a fix - making both WIA and not WIA working in 3.03/x86 like it used to work in 3.0 and 3.01, thanks! Strange that the fix did not make it to 3.04 x86...

And I still have that 'Unable to open TWAIN...' problem in any x64 versions of Salamander. It turns out that this issue is not related to Salamander (as other x64 programs can't scan either) nor to my scanner (as other devices, like iPhone, are not available as well). Thus, it seems to be a Windows problem.

Could anyone please check if their TWAIN devices work in x64 OS with 64-bit programs (like Salamander x64, Photohop x64 etc.)? I have Windows 7 x64 with x64 drivers for my Xerox 3119 (analogue of Samsung 4200) installed, but somehow both TWAIN and WIA work only in 32 bits scanning programs for me.

By the way, one more minor note: when PictView finishes scanning, it closes the WIA window and switches to the main Salamander window - not to the PictView window, which is rather unconvenient.
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

The testing version that works for you is compiled without flags we introduced with AS 3.02: /DYNAMICBASE and /NXCOMPAT. It seems there is some problem in Xerox driver (loaded into Salamander process). It should work with these flags. For now we don't plan to rollback these flags, please see http://forum.altap.cz/viewtopic.php?t=7537 for more information. We will wait for feedback from other users.