Chinese Characters not Recognised and Combine does not work

Discussion of bugs and problems found in Altap Salamander. In your reports, please be as descriptive as possible, and report one incident per report. Do not post crash reports here, send us the generated bug report by email instead, please.
GeoffHill

Chinese Characters not Recognised and Combine does not work

Post by GeoffHill »

Hi I'm trialing Salamander,

However - a couple of problems: -

(1) It does not recognise Asian (Chinese) characters - my wife is Chinese and I have a lot of files coming and going from China - so this is a problem.

I have looked in the forum and this is a old known problem of not handling Unicode Characters - dating back to 2006!

(2) I'm also trying to combine some part files together and it does not seem to want to work?

Any thoughts please?

I'm using a Sony Viao 3GB in 32Bit Win 7

Thanks Geoff
Ether

Re: Chinese Characters not Recognised and Combine does not w

Post by Ether »

1) I was going to offer AppLocale to you, but then I realized that non-English locales often contain the basic Latin alphabet as well as the foreign one. So if you don't work with any other languages than English and Chinese, you should be able to set the System Locale to one of the Chinese ones (not sure which though, I'm using AppLocale and the locale I tried - zh-cn [2052] - seems to be missing in the system Regional settings). To my infinite amazement, the locale I tried was compatible even with Cyrillic script (at least the Russian part) and some of the Czech letters with diacritics (see attached image).

2) What exactly is not working? Select some files, invoke the Combine command, customize and confirm.
Attachments
Clipbrd1.png
Clipbrd1.png (9.06 KiB) Viewed 15698 times
Ελληνικά rulez.
alexlp

Post by alexlp »

You use C++ functions without support of unicode
Attachments
ch.png
ch.png (31.02 KiB) Viewed 15323 times
tukanos

Post by tukanos »

This is well known problem in Salamander. You should always check the roadmap before anything http://www.altap.cz/salamander/roadmap/ .

Next Altap Salamander

Unicode support for file operations, Internal viewer, Find command, etc.
trustinme

Post by trustinme »

unfortunately this is a big issue for me too. I updated to 3 because i though it would be solved. But it's still on road map for next version, so hoping not to wait again several years for one version up....
rollhigh

Post by rollhigh »

cool. any ETA on when Unicode will be supported? :)
zorglups

Re: Chinese Characters not Recognised and Combine does not work

Post by zorglups »

Any update on your roadmap ?
The last time it was updated was in 2014.